koni inserts in 16v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 14-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 16v

koni inserts in 16v

Question possibly for ZeNiTh-PbArM

I had a 1988 (f reg) 1.7 8v alfa 33. I measured the gap from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel arch and got 65mm. I bought some lowered springs for it, H&R off later type 33, so had to change the top rubber ring to get the spring to sit in the correct place. I then bought some koni inserts, Koni sport (yellow) 86 2408, for the Spica struts and got them shortened for this 65mm drop and made top adjustable. I used the bottom spring pan and bearing from a sud, to get the 65mm drop, hence me going for the earlier type spica strut.
All this worked fine, apart from the massive Ė camber which I was going to sort out and the handling was amazing.
I no longer have the springs and now have a 16v 33, how should I go about using these shocks on this car?
I know the 16vís have the later type struts, boge and that the internal diameter of the earlier, spica struts are 4 cm. I think the later boge strut is larger and I think are slightly shorter, so I didnít use them. I fitted the springs from the later 16v on the earlier spica struts, as the shock wouldnít fit the top of the 16v shock assemble (as they are top adjustable) and everything else from the earlier setup.
This was not good it was as if the spring was too long and the car sat too low, ride was horrible, it felt very very soft. I think this was due to the resting position being too low, affecting the throw of the shock.
So, should I drill out my 16v struts? fit a sleeve to compensate for the internal diameter difference? Shorten the bottom of the koni inserts to fit (if it will help)
Will the overall length of the insert now be to short as I had it adjusted for the 65mm drop?

Current measurements of koni inserts.
Length from bottom to top 45.1 cm, the yellow part.
Length from bottom to lower part of screw thread at top of shock 61.3 cm when fully extended.

I have already got rear shocks fitted, powerflex bushes all round and Iebach springs
The rears were adjusted for a 85mm drop.
Please help , Iíve been dying to get my car setup and finalised.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

16v , inserts , koni