33 steering rack boot - why so hard to replace? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 08-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Auckland

Member car:

33ie 16v

Hmmm 33 steering rack boot - why so hard to replace?

Down here in New Zealand I have been quoted over $1000 (350+ pounds sterling if you will) to get a steering boot replaced. Is it really that hard to do? Could I do it myself? This is not a glamour car its a weekender to remind me there is life after having twin boys (now 2 years old). I can deal with most things mechanical but time is always an issue for me so i tend to opt for 'get someone else to do it' generally.
I've read that gaiters are too small diameter-wise. Second hand will be tough. But once I get one whats the big deal with replacing? Assume getting the rack out is a mare of a job...?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Getting the rack out is a real pain, usually easier to move the engine out of the way. Then, iirc, the rack has to be dismantled to get the new boots on.
AO Silver Member
County: -
On most cars you pop the ball joint, unscrew the tie rod, cut the clips and remove the old boot. Then slide new one on, fit the clips and refit the tie rod. Half an hour and $40 for the boot.

I assume there's something odd about a 33 power steer rack that means this is not the case?
AO Member
County: South Australia
I just reinstalled the rack in my Sprint two days ago after spraying the engine bay. I partly took it apart to clean it first and noted how lucky I am not to have to replace the boots. They look like real mongrels to replace!
AO Platinum Member
County: -
I definitely wouldn't try to remove the rack with the engine in the way.... It's probably doable, but hell of a job!

Replacing the boots require disassembly of the whole rack, not just taking it out of the car...

I've already destroyed one while trying this myself.

And what I've heard, there's a good chance the rack will leak after the disassembly if not being very careful when putting it back together.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

boot , hard , rack , replace , steering