better front brakes for an '88 Alfa 33? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-12-05 Thread Starter
better front brakes for an '88 Alfa 33?

I have always thought that the front brakes on my old '87 Sprint and my current 33 were a bit naff - certainly not a patch on the inboard jobbies on the 'Sud and an '84 Sprint I have owned.

I am assuming that since rear brakes contribute so little to the overall stopping power that the drums on the rear are not the cause, certainly not the total cause, but that the fault lies with the dubious single piston floating calliper system on the front.

Has anyone removed them and fitted anything else?

It has been suggested to me that the Alfa 75 and/or 90 may be a good donor - can this be confirmed (or otherwise)?

Barry dal HERBERT
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Sud/Sprint/33 Lounge Winner 09
County: Cambridgeshire
Re: better front brakes for an '88 Alfa 33?

I assume that you have the 239x22 vented discs at the front? Depends on what you intend to use the car foor, but i would recommend fitting some grooved discs and uprated pads, as i did this on my 164 and it improved things no end. You could try fitting the 284x22 discs and calipers from a fiat coupe as this will keep the 4 stud 98pcd pattern, but you will more than likely need to fabricate an adaptor/spacer to mount the caliper to and you will probably need 15" wheels-this is the route i intend to take with my Sprint. Hopefully i will get round to attempting it before the spring
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

When I had my 1.7 Sprint I replaced the front calipers with those from a Vauxhall 16v GTE - the mounting is the same. I used 2.0 TS 164 discs. Just needs 3-4mm spacer on the caliper mounting to centre it over the disc. As the disc is still about 239/240mm you can use the 14" wheels.

I used the car a number of times on the track without any problems.

I have heard that the 147/156 GTA calipers can be fitted with an adapter plate
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 27-12-05 Thread Starter

Good to hear that there is something that more-or-less fits straight on, but Vauxhall 16v GTEs are in short supply in Oz (unless they were released here with a Holden badge like the Astra and Calibra were).

Other obvious possibilities with 4x98 PCD wheel fittings like Fiats are also rare here too because both Fiat and Alfa cars were just not sold in Australia for many years.

Since I have got all the brake bits off an Alfa 33 that I am wrecking, I intend to take everything for comparison with other Alfa options such as the 75, 90 and 164 - there MUST be something that will do the job!

Barry dal HERBERT
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Keep us informed on your progress mate

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfa , brakes , front