33 QV What to do? (And new here) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 18-10-05 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

33 QV What to do? (And new here)

Hi all,

I have just made it to this forum after owning Alfa's for years now. I still own my first Alfa and I still dearly love it.

My 33 as it was a while ago

However, my 33 needs work. The powersteering is leaking and a camshaft gasket has given in, only 30K km after the engine has been completely overhauled. So it had been sitting in a barn for over a year doing nothing.

As we have just purchased a new house with a double garage, I decided to pick it up and start the work on it. This is what it looked like when it got back home.

First thing to do was to strip the front. The bumper is almost loose, but then the nuts broke and I need to arrange an angle grinder or something similar to remove the bumper completely.

The only damage on the front is a small hole besides the washer tank. Not bad for an Italian car 14 years old... The only other small hole is about 4x4mm underneath the left taillight.

The back got stripped quickly and revealed no special surprises, which was a relief.

Now the next part to do is to decide what to do. I need to pull the engine and fix the steering. But while the engine is out, I might as well do some more work on it. I have been thinking about a supercharger coupled with a mappable ignition, but haven't really gotten my head around the amount of work needed to get that to work. A turbo could work, but would need much more maths and the enginebay is quite cramped to do a proper installation. With the supercharger I can make it run into the original inletmanifold and put the measuring stuff before the chargers inlet and get away with most of the mods, in theory...
Any more/other ideas? (Also, tell me if I am completly off the charts here .)

Last edited by Arne; 18-10-05 at 18:18. Reason: Changed the image links.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint