I've got a really stupid question.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 15-10-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 75 3.0

Help I've got a really stupid question....

...which I already know the answer to.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma...I'm having a few "issues" at the moment and one of the probable outcomes is an engine swap to a 1712...Unfortunately I have some real time/effort invested in the heads (& some pretty funky cams) & would love to be able to use them...

...Can someone tell me definitively that I can't...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: I've got a really stupid question....

Nope, can't tell you definitively that you can't because you didn't say what motor your fancy cams and heads come out of!
I'm assuming they come out of the Alfasud Ti in your signature, which presumably has the original motor with solid lifters in. As far as I know it's possible to use the 1712 heads (bigger valves? recessed combustion chambers?) with the non-hydraulic lifters and camshafts. But I think the smaller capacity motors didn't have a recessed combustion chamber in the head, or something, so if you put those heads on your 1712 block the compression ratio will be too high?

When my last motor died I tried to investigate the 1712-head-and-solid-lifters setup, but how to achieve it seems to be a closely guarded secret among those who race boxer Alfas. They all wanted to tell me it was very difficult and they didn't know how it was done. But a friend of mine took some of the parts from my dead 1712 motor and did a dummy fit with some solid lifter bits, and found a combination of parts from each motor which appeared to work.

Disclaimer: The most I've ever done to a car is change a thermostat.

Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

question , stupid