The time has come to build a rollcage , both for my racing Sprint as well as for Tasos's mid engined Sprint.
We took both cars at his place now - coz he has a heavy duty welder and more space - and I went by his house Sunday night to take some measurements.
1st of all, we found that we need 20 to 21 meters of piping for each car
Does that sound about right ?
And how much does a rollcage usually weight for Sprints ?
Plan is to make the design as follows:
- 2 legs (one on each side) from front floor, to rear top of B pilars (where they would weld to the rear hoop) , shaped along the side of the car.
- 1 connecting pipe on the top of those two legs on the front, to form the front hoop
- 1 rear hoop on the B pilars from floor to floor
- 2 legs connecting the rear hoop on the rear suspension (one on each side)
- 2 legs connecting the front hoop to the front suspension ( one on each side )
- 1 diagonal connection between opposite sides top of rear hoop to rear suspension top
- 1 connecting pipe between door height of rear hoop and lower side of front legs
- 1 connecting pipe from side to side on the rear hoop
Tasos wants to make connecting pipes along the sills because he has more weight at the middle now (his sprint is mid engined), whilst I want to make an X beam on the bottom of my rear hoop and a connecting pipe between the top mounts of my rear suspension plates, as I made new plates for my rear suspension and welded them 15cm higher than the stock ones due to the rear differential.
So, Tasos needs 21meters, and I need 20 meters of pipework.
Roughly we estimated that pipes only would weight about 70kgs
I still need to check what diameter and thickness pipes we are allowed to use on a track, but I suspect they would be the same everywhere ?