Alfa 33 Brakes. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-08-05 Thread Starter
Wave Alfa 33 Brakes.

Hi everyone, I have just joined the ranks of alfa romeo drivers with a lovely 1990 Alfa 33 Boxer QV! So huzzah and hello

One thing that i have noticed to be strange and thought I would post here.. when I apply the brakes it seems like I have to press them in a really long way before I get decent braking power. I am used to it now and when you really push it in it stops just fine, it just feels extremely odd , and I would like to know if this is normal in a 33.

Other odd things I have noticed are that the fuel gage seems to move around a lot :/ and will go right down and the warning light come on if I brake suddenly, although I imagine that is just fuel swishing around confusing the sensors.

Thanks to anyone who replies
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Alfa 33 Brakes.

Hi and Welcome
The 33 is a great place to start, my favourite Alfa was a 33. If you haven't checked out the brakes yet start by checking the adjustment of the rear brakes, if they are drums you can adjust the shoes through a slot in the back of the back plate.
Also bleed the system, if there is some air in the system it will make the pedal travel longer. If in doubt get brakes checked professionally- it pays not to take chances.
Don't worry about the fuel gauge, they get more fuel when accelerating and lose it when braking- this is normal, take an average reading on the flat and you will be fine!
Anyway, welcome again and have fun!
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Yup, the fuel guage is acting normal, it's very responsive.
As for the brakes they are bad on the 33 as standard, you can improve them a bit by fitting braided hoses as the standard ones flex a lot, hence when you brake the energy goes into the hoses flexing and is not being applied to the pads. The master cylinder also moves under pressure adding to the effect, there is a template for a braket to cure this floating around the internet, do a search, I'll try and find the link when i get a chance but i'm hopelessly unreliable at the mo
If you can get the wheels to lock up there's nothing majorly wrong though.

Quinn is Tintin, Q is Betty Boop, LeeBex is Mr Benn, Wrinxy Jinxy is a whole Agatha Christie suspense novel by himself. AJ's not a bear but BazzaKarhu the earth pig is. Debs is the Essex Pink Orange fiend. Jason is Marlon, i'm Marlon, Marlon is Spartacus. Chris155 (Andy's dad) ate all the pies. AlfaJack, you b*stard! Jimbo's a superstar. Speedy, Barry, San and Thompatruck turn into pumpkins at midnight.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 15-08-05 Thread Starter

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I havnt tried to lock the wheels yet, got them spinning a few times tho

It had its roadworthy done the other week(in australia) and it listed brakes as being "75%" whatever that means, and its strong enough, just takes a long pedal travel. Good to hear this isnt unusual though!

I should uploads some pics of my baby

EDIT: Silly me, 75% would mean the brake pads I guess, it does have drums in the back but I thought drum brakes were self adjusting?

Last edited by Leot; 15-08-05 at 13:50.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfa , brakes