wet & cold this morning so took the opportunity to go to town and fetch a few bits - stoneguard, body-filler, etch primer, more new steel, plus got a liter of verde matese paint for the floor
couldn't believe it all came to just over £181
amazing when you keep saying "i'll have that, and some of that...." it all adds up
still, nice to start thinking about stuff other than welding
so back this afternoon after a little detour to have a chat with our nige, local lincs rep, i thought i'd better get out and do something.
even if it's tempting to sit and watch old top gear re-runs on dave
first job was to finish off the bottom of the "A" pillar on the drivers side.
braced inside the box section as usual to help spread the load for the jacking point.
then closed everything in once the last of the captive wing mounting nuts was installed.
all solid again down there now, floor closed in again so at last we seem to be getting somewhere.
so with that in mind i started on the wing rails.
the ones that are on don't look too old, but have quite a bit of surface rust and the welding is a bit messy.
did make enquiries about new rails but ruled them out as too expensive to change.
so how to make new ones...
first job was to cut some angle to the profile of the old rails, to get the curvature just right.
i used angle to keep some stiffness and form to the metal but flat could be used.
next job was to tack in place the return edge that the wing will sit on. important here to try and keep the shape and not let things run away and build any twist in. a magnetic angle wedge helps but most important to work on a flat surface. door step did the job just grand
once tacked firmly in place it was then all seam welded and after that the mounting nuts were welded into place
have started to take out the old rail but again, time caught up with me.
one of these days i will get started early enough and actually put a full day in