busy day, but not so much done to the sud as i wanted to get done, excuses excuses i hear you say
first visistor was our local lincs rep nige, with his trusty gtv for a look over to see how rusty it is underneath with an impending mot coming. unfortuneately the tough decision had to be made that it needs more work than makes financial sense...sorry nige.
if anyone wants an otherwise tidy gtv then please get in touch with him.
then kris came to fetch the spider that's been keeping my front lawn company these last few weeks.
my old 156 V6 SW came back to us with the deal, what a nice car it is
finally this afternoon i got to have a look at the sud in my wind tunnel that doubles up as my car-port/workspace.
the main task in hand was to figure out a way to get the new rear arches to cover the wheels in profile but still allow the bodykit arches to fit afterwards.
this needs to be done before the car goes onto the spit so i can be sure of wheel positioning. once it's all in place then the axle etc can come off and the shiny new wheels be packed safely out of the way
after much headscratching the only course of action was a direct one.
fix the new arches in position to start with, using far more of the new ones than i wanted but the car has already had replacement arches under the layers of body filler so nothing for it but to get busy chopping.
with the new arch in position it became clear that whatever i tried i couldn't stretch the panel to safely cover the tyre, always a danger that it would foul the arch under load.
so again, direct action was callled for.
the new arch was sliced and opened out by about 3/4" along the top and infilled with new metal. the top lip had to be reshaped to allow the angle to be more like natural so that the arch will follow the correct line to allow the arch trim to be fitted.
once it's fully welded and filled back in it should take on a nice appearance, a nice wider arch profile than standard but retain the bodykit of the ti.
the inner lip will be built up once the car is on the spit to make it simpler to get at.
plan for tomorrow is to get the other side done the same way then get the car mounted ready for the sills etc to be started on