Well.... I thought it was about time I started my own new thread - rather than messing up other peoples' threads with questions and comments related to my own project.
Previously I had a really lovely 33 track car that I used as my daily driver. One day at Donnington I ran a bearing dry and got the car home and in a moment of stupidity decided I had done all I could we the car - and broke it up. I sold off all the bits and was feeling a little smug with all the money I made back. Well some of it anyway.
I decided from that point to buy a 156 GTA and run that for a while. After having 3 of them I decided to turn the final one into a track car, which is currently the daily driver. The problem is that the GTA is a big heavy car and more of a Gran Tourer than a nimble little 3 box sports car in disguise.
So, recently whilst sat doing nothing one day, I got round to thinking 'wouldn't it be great to put back together a fast road 33 to my own recipe....' and that is where this project starts.
So..... here is the planned specification:
1. Series 3 car in black, with no sunroof.
2. Roll cage fitted.
3. Lightweight throughout - just race seats and bear minimum to be legal and MOT'd.
4. 1830cc engine running on carbs, with 1.2 gearbox.
5. Koni fast road or race suspension.
6. 17" wheels.
7. Front wings and bonnet from AHM in carbonfibre.
8. Fibreglass rear hatch - made by myself.
9. Larger brakes as necessary - perhaps again taken from mine or a doner 147 / 156 GTA.
10. Polycarbonate rear windows - and possibly front ones as well.
11. Series 2 Veloce front bumper.
12. No power steering - doesn't need it in my mind.
13. Clear all unnecessary bits from the engine bay and move battery to the rear.
14. Single windscreen wiper. Nearly always going to be me driving so the passenger side person doesn't really need to see out! Probably best that way as well
15. Cut out rear boot well.
16. Paint the interior an off white or silver colour.
17. Add bespoke side exist exhaust.
18. Polybush through out.
19. re-register for road use, MOT, tax, insure.
20. Fill with petrol and hit the road!
So how far have I got?
Well, paid the deposit on a good Class D race car from the Alfa race series.
Bought a decent set of 40 IDF carbs earlier this week.
Collected a FOC 1.2 gearbox earlier today.
Bought a full sheet of light grey Lexan for the windows this week.
Discussed with Shrew possible purchase of carb mounts.
Spoken to a few other people about some possible parts.
Put some feelers out for some other possible parts and bodywork.
Spend a bit of time working out how I am going to afford everything.
Set a rough build programme in mind....
Lots and lots to do, plenty of planning and finding parts. Develop a shopping / finding list.
Make a promise to myself not to buy anything unless it is truly useful and will definitely find its way onto the car.
So shopping list then:
Doner 1.7 block for machining of larger pistons
JE or Arias pistons
Series 2 Veloce front bumper
17" wheels with tyres and correct offset
Correct side skirts, the ones that flare at the back (16v from memory) and have the slight turn up at the front (can't quite remember - possibly 16v as well)
Front bodywork - i.e. wings / bonnet
Windscreen wiper motor and arm from a Fiat Uno or similar
Find an excellent 16v manifold and then design / fit a mandrell bent side exist exhaust
Then add some photos as I go along.
Sounds like fun!