Alfa 33 Fuel Tank Modifications - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-01-13 Thread Starter
County: Nicosia
Alfa 33 Fuel Tank Modifications

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about this lately because I need to change my fuel tank on my 33 AGAIN and I want this to be the last time !

Here are the points that I have established:

1 - The Mk1 and Mk2 33's as well as the Sprints, have a different fuel tank than the S3 33's.
The difference is one extra breather pipe right next to the fuel floater in the middle of the tank.

2 - The 16v 33's have an exit from the fuel tank with a 10mm hose, rather than the 8mm hose that goes on the rest of the boxer family cars. We are talking about NON catalytic versions only, as I dont know if the catalytic versions are different as well.

3 - The plastic neck of the 16v 33 from filler cap to tank, has 2 joints instead of just 1 thats used as the breather.

So in other words, the 16v tank has 1 10mm exit thats for feeding the fuel pump, 1 8mm return thats right next to the feeder pipe (middle of the tank). Then it has one 8mm exit on the side of the tank thats used as the lower plastic neck part breather and the plastic neck has the top side pipe (right behind the filler cap) thats used for the valve breather (the one with the green hose attached to it.

To sum things up, the tank feeds and returns fuel from the middle, empties the air from the side, and the neck's top joint releaves the pressure from the tank while you are driving.

Please let me know if you disagree with any of these up to now.

The fuel tank I've got on my 33 now comes from a Sprint, which doesnt have the second joint in the middle of the tank for the return of the fuel, and that's done from the side pipe.
This means that I had to make "T" junctions to put the return pipe and breather on the same pipe of the tank.
The result is that I need to fill it up DEAD SLOWLY !!!

Prior to that modification and with the original fuel tank on my 33, the filling speed wasnt that much better anyway.

I'm guessing most of you 33 owners have the same problem when filling up your tanks right ?

Here's what I thought:

Option 1 :
Drill out or otherwise remove the side pipe of the fuel tank, and replace it with a 10mm pipe instead of the 8mm it has on now.
This will allow the air to be removed from the tank faster, so you can fill it up faster without soaking your hands and shoes in petrol.

Option 2:
Make a custom filler neck from the filler cap to the tank, and install the lower joint on that neck on higher level.
This will keep the breather hose free from the splattering fuel inside the tank and prevent it from clogging and spewing up the fuel.

What do you guys think ?
Sponsored Links
if you've put your breather pipe in with the fuel return pipe i think that's your problem, the fuel return pipe dips down into the tank quite a bit so is submerged in fuel and thus won't let air in.

this will cause the refuelling issues you are getting as the air can't get out.

mine vents air out from the little outlet on top of the tank, the one that sits above where the filler pipe goes in.
that pipe doesn't go into the tank at all pipewise, if you see what i mean, just sits flush inside the tank.
you need something like that.
never have had any issues at all with filling fuel in.

it's a case of the air needing to get out for the fuel to go in, not helped at all by the filler kneck going in at the lower half of the tank

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfa , fuel , modifications , tank