Oily Water - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Otago
Oily Water

Hi all,
Ive just replaced the water in my sprint about a week ago, I checked the water today and it was full of oil. How could this of happened?

Note: The car has had a full service 2 months ago
Sponsored Links
County: Nicosia
Oh dear....

you need an engine rebuild mate
plain and simple.

you might be lucky enough to get away with it only with the heads and gaskets, but usually its badly corroded heads or parished head gaskets that do the damage.

When not using the car for many years, the alloy corrodes and disolves, leaving behind nasty holes. When the car gets back on the road, and especially when it gets a few coolant flushes, it washes away all that disolved aluminium and leaves you with a small pores that might join the oil with the water, or water in the oil.

Check your dipstick. If its got "more oil" than it should, and it looks a bit soapy and white, then you've got water in the oil as well, which is worst.

If thats the case, the more you run it now, the more damage you are making.
Oil doesnt easily clean out from the radiator or inner walls of coolant hoses, so all the hoses should be replaced after repaired and radiator should be professionaly flushed and cleaned.

Sorry about the bad news mate, but if you can post a few pictures of your water tank and oil dipstick, we can be more sure. However, whatever the case, its not good news and it does cost to repair.
AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by alfasud_nz View Post
Ive just replaced the water in my sprint about a week ago, I checked the water today and it was full of oil. How could this of happened?
Was it only water and not proper coolant?
AO Silver Member
County: -
Before starting dissmantling engine do a cleaning on the system and replace with fresh one and check again..... There is a possibility that this might be deposits from corrosion....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

oily , water