heya guys electrical issue :l - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
heya guys electrical issue :l

so its been a while i havent visited the site been busy with the young one ....

so back to the 33 1.7 carb 1988

im having issue with electrical side of things
everytime i take the car for a drive the battery light stays on
i go back a day later to crank the car over and it does not want to start so each week im forced to charge my battery just to hear my baby 33 growl :P

so batterys fine iv have that checked
alternators got reconditioned a month ago and i have had that checked
iv pulled out my radio fuse from fuse box just to make sure it isnt that that flattens battery
all the earth wires are grounded firmly no lose cables that i know of

anyone have the same issue?

also iv always had my speedo playing up some days yes some days no but for the passt 2 months i havent seen the speedo rise at all ???

cheerss guys
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Sounds like your alternator's not charging. Assuming it was reinstalled correctly, probably the alternator's regulator thingy is broken. While you're driving your car, the car's flattening the battery instead of running off the alternator, so next day there's not enough battery charge to start the car.
To confirm, connect a voltmeter to the battery, start the engine and rev it past 3000rpm once just to be sure. You should see about 14 volts on the battery.

I have the same speedo issue as you but that's unrelated. If it's not a poor connection between the gearbox speed sensor and the back of the instrument cluster, then I think it's caused by a bad earth under the dash somewhere. I'm at the point of hunting for the bad earth, I just haven't done it yet.

Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Speedo's issue tends to be at the cluster end, I just yesterday took mine apart and used a small screwdriver to bend the 2 contacts to make a better connection, its the connector block with only 2 wires on it on the top left above the speedo dial on the back.
I would also suggest the alternator is at fault if the car was fine before the refurbishment and your wiring is right then that's the most likely the issue.
AO Member
County: Devon
I had similar trouble with my Alternator. Thought I was sure what was wrong, changed the regulator, it worked for a few months then played up again. In the end got a re manufactured alternator off eBay and a new battery, touch wood all good.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

electrical , guys , heya , issue