Alfa 33 - Suspension/steering woes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Alfa 33 - Suspension/steering woes

My wife's 1987 '33' is starting to handle a little erraticly. Tends to wander about a fair bit, even when the steering wheel is pointed straight, when turning it feels slow to respond & heavy, then will suddenly grab & go where you want it, steering is ~heavy~ at parking speeds & it has an appalling turning circle (is this normal? It has a turning circle about 2m larger than even my old work truck does...).

Long & the short of it, i'd like to know what I should be looking at to make it handle like it should?

Changing all the rubber bushes to poly & new front dampers are on the cards (maybe strut-top rubbers too, if available), but i've heard of strut bearings? failing that can cause problems like this. Are these available aftermarket or are they a part available solely from Alfa? (ie expensive?)

Anyone got a listing on a bushing package, or part numbers for individual items?

Also, are the front struts the same in the first, second and third series 33's, or do they change somewhere along the line? I've been offered a set of new struts for a series 1 & want to make sure they'll work before I buy them...

164 restoration in progress...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Re: Alfa 33 - Suspension/steering woes

Turning circle is poor! Strut bearings are easily available and not expensive and will cause the problems you describe. I believe struts are uniform but I'm not sure. Also try removing conical end cap of steering rack and greasing the rack, the grease can go hard!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 25-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

What type of grese should I be looking to replace it with?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 perm 4

i cant remember which series has what type of struts. but i know that there are 4 and 3 bolt vertions of the strut fixings. so check.. not sure if all the 4 stud struts are the same either.

the series 3 has got bith 4 and 3 stud depending on age but i 'think' that the older cars all have 4 stud.

also poplly bushes are easy to get the right ones. they dont have to be alfa fit parts. bushes are just bushes.. go to any garage/tuning shop that sells them and get them to have a look under your car. they will be able to supply the parts.

good luck.

if life was easy, everyone would do it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfa , suspension or steering , woes