Setting up track rod ends. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Setting up track rod ends.

Anyone got a guide on how to set the track rod ends, took my car out a few days ago felt great turning in to a left handed bend but vauge/wooly and unsettled turning right, I have replaced the track rod ends 3 months ago but don't think I have wound the near side in enough compared to the off side one.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Hi Iain.

Some tyre places will check the tracking for free but they normally wont adjust as you have to split the joint.
What I do is go and get the free check then go back home and adjust it by the amount I think to correct it then get it checked again (this may require a contribution for the coffee fund).
If it is still out you should now hava a good idea of how many turns it needs to put it where you want it.
If the wheel is then out then its a case of winding one track rod end in and one out until its centred. After all that ideally get it checked again for piece of mind.

Keep thinking I will make myself a little jig for checking the tracking myself but not got round to it yet. Something else on the things to do list

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 16v

I bought a ball joint splitter that can be used without jacking up the car, I only have to turn the steering full lock and I can crack the end.
Measure the length of both arms, add together and divide by 2, this will give you a rough guide to start from.
Remove the track rod end from the strut, clean up the thread and loosen off the locking nut and unwind the locking nut until it's level with the flat part on the track rod end, where you use a spanner to stop it spinning when you tighten it up.
Wind both arms in all the way until facing down, locking nut should just be touching the steering arm.
Unwind until you get to the average of both sides added together earlier, should be the same amount of turns each side.
Steering should now be toeing in or out, get the tracking checked and unwind / screw in equal amounts each side until you are at the point where final adjustment can only be done my turning one side.
I centralised my steering wheel to the rack and wound my hex adjusters all the way in and the track rod ends all the way into the hex adjusters and when I got the tracking done I had -11 on one side and -11.5 on the other side. If you are 100% sure the steering rack was central and you haven’t moved the steering wheel and nothing is bent you should be very close.

Alfa 33 16v

Click the link below to see what I'm doing to raise money for cancer research

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

ends , rod , setting , track