thoughts on nolathane. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 31-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Australia
thoughts on nolathane.

hi. my 16v 33 is in need of some new front suspension and anti roll bar bushes. i tried replacing the bushes in my S2 33\ with genuine ones and it went horrible and cost me a fortune cause i couldnt install the new ones at home and had to send it to a mechanic. so this time round i was thinking of making some nolathane ones. with this thought in my head ive been doing a bit of research and theres plenty of threads about other cars saying that the red urethane bushings are too stiff and they break things. is this true? and should i be concerned, if this is the case should i consider using a softer grade of urethane, say blue instead of red. the other thing i came across was an alfa thread talking about removing the anti roll bar completely. is this a sensible consideration for a road car or should i just make some new bushes for that aswell and leave it on there? also does anyone have a link to a factory set of nolathane bushes for a 33 cause i havent been able to find any sites that have 33 nolathane bushes. i just wanna do a little bit of visual research aswell to see what i need to copy.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 16v

Hi Harry,
I have powerflex on my ser 3 16v
Powerflex Shop
They don't do the ARB, superflex do
SuperFlex: Advanced polyurethane suspension bushes

I would start with the rear, 8 of the same type then 2 on the panhard rod.
If you can get hold of some old link arms and get the old bushes pressed out / burned out then the powerflex ones are in 2 pieces and will be easy to do yourself or use a vice to press them in, then swap them over.
I would advise using large washers x16 +4 for the panhard rod, either side of the bushes.
I was put off in the same way as you, people saying cars squeaked ect ect but I have had no problems in that area.
When doing the fronts you will need 7mm spacers, I used 4x 3mm spacers, unless powerflex has changed their design, see my thread on it

IMO a well worth upgrade, car turns in sharp and settles on the exit of a turn far quicker than OEM, NOS bushes not as good

Alfa 33 16v

Click the link below to see what I'm doing to raise money for cancer research

Last edited by BigAl33; 31-03-12 at 14:32.
AO Silver Member
County: -
For a road car, don't go overboard with polyurethane because it can get a bit coarse. Agree with Al start at the rear, unless you've actually got a stuffed bush somewhere up front. Which is unlikely as suds/33's are very easy on bushes.

Rear bushes on suds (and I assume 33's) there are 2 different types the long front links have waisted bushes and the rear short links have solid bushes. Pretty sure this is to give different compliance and provide for a suitable change in rear wheel geometry under cornering load. I found with all bushes replaced with polyurethane the rear gets twitchy when wet. Better to fit urethane to the rear short links then fit the solid rubber bushes you just removed from rear links to front long links to maintain the relative compliance.

Front you could replace the one where the 2 arms join, but the benefits are minor.

I have bought and fitted polyurethane bushes in red and blue and both the split type and one piece like original. Either are easy to fit with a vice and the right size sockets or similar. The original rubber bushes have plastic surrounds so come out no problem. The split type I used didn't last very long by the way.
County: Queensland

Member car:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

nolathane , thoughts