Some Alfa 33 queries - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-03-12 Thread Starter
County: Attard
Hmmm Some Alfa 33 queries

Hello everyone. I recently purchased an Alfa 33 with a 1.5ltr boxer engine. The car starts straight away and works fine. Though I just have a few queries and would like to have a direction. As if they are normal and there is nothing I can do about them, I wont be worried. If they are issues, they how may I please tackle them?

1) At times, the gears do not go in. Now this is very random. At times they go in like a charm, at times they dont. But I cannot replicate it by doing some specific action (or at least I dont think I can)
2) Also, at times whilst driving and I just change gear, i hear the gears sort of crashing and making a sound. I am assuming that this is the synchromesh. But also, does it rarely. Anyhow, is this a big hassle to change if needed?
3) Last but not least - and one which utterly annoys me! This usually happens when I am going up a hill. And most probably more when its cold. I'll be on 2nd with a good amount of revs and suddenly, i feel the car losing revs on its own. Sort of it not getting any fuel. I then put it into 1st gear and floor it and it sort of takes it. Though when i stop on the hill (as i live on a hill), the car still tends to make that noise thats it about to stall and it revs itself. The thing is that this doesnt always happen. but its annoying especially if you got cars behind you.
Another thing it does, on flat road, I will be driving along, as soon as i give it more gas, it sort of 'lags' and then takes it all at once.

Im thinking that they might be the plugs, or the fuel pump. Anyhow, I currently not in the position to spend money So was wondering if someone who has experienced the above may at least put me in a direction where the issue is most likely to be at. I am sorry that I cannot provide further detail, all of the above happen when it feels like.. It got a character of its own and thats why I love it I just wish to understand it more! Or to correct any mistakes I am doing.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Staffs

Member car:

Had a 33 1.7 QV

First of all welcome to the best alfa forum

Do you have some pics of your 33? 1.5 with mech tappets? What year? Nice engine and box indeed.

Gear crunches are common with these boxes especially the 2nd. If it's really bad then yes the syncro will need seeing to.
Mine crunches but only if I rev in first and change too fast. A blip on the throttle between changes helps a lot.
You need to take care while changing. it's not a fast box!

lagging sounds like it's flooding, too rich. Could be badly adjusted carbs, fouled up spark plugs, old cables.

Usually if it lags(nosedives almost) then it's mostly likley too much fuel. could be leaking float valve needles or too much pressure or jets too big, floats too high..various factors come into play.

Plugs are very cheap to buy.
grab yourself some NGK B7ES, adjust the gap to 0.6mm, check if cables are in good condition, check dizzy cap and rotor (clean or replace if necessary).

Welcome to the alfa characteristics!

(How steep was the hill?) My 2nd is an awful ratio and often have to go down into first!
AO Silver Member
County: -
Welcome to the club...... regarding your issues with 33 here are some facts...

- Gearbox is noisy , especially from 1st to 2nd with lots of revs or from 3rd to 2nd with medium rpms. Typical characteristic up until you master the way 2nd must be selected ( requires a circular motion from left to back for perfect selection.). Changing synchros will fix that but for short period of time but generally it is not a problem.
- I am assuming you haven't done a service on the car and probably you don't know what previous owner has done also before. So a change in transmission fluids must be programmed as engine oil and spark plugs. This is relative cheap and easy to do so and this will help the car.
-Following the previous i would suggest also to change cambelts which are the only crucial thing in this engine as they need to be change every 20k -30k miles or 3-4 years just to be sure the wont brake destroying valves or engine. Also , this is quite an easy and cheap ( parts and labor) . Spark plugs also should be planned as boxer engine is very selective with its "current' and those are cheap too and easy to do them yourself. Last but not least , buy a carb service kit and service the carbs or a least use a good carb cleaner and change fuel filter. This will probably fix your over floating problem when in hill.

These are the thing yoy have to do in order to make you car running smoothly and prevent any problems.

Sprint 1.7 '85
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 21-03-12 Thread Starter
County: Attard
Hello everyone.Sorry for the late reply, but I am not getting notifications that someone replied. Will check out the settings!

I put some pics up onto my profile. I am guessing that you may check them out there at least i think you can. The car is a 1994 model.Though I do not know what mech tappets are.. lol. Thank you very much your reply. I should soon be meeting a friend who is a mechanic and loves raw engines. I'll will tell him all that you told me. Re the hill, it is rather steep. I will be lucky to make it on second.. but some days differ.. Most probably the humidity :P

Brilliant information Thank you very much. Over the next few weeks I will be try and meet up with this guy I know. It depends on my college stuff :/ But would like to grab a saturday and go over to him so we do all this.. I'll gladly do them

Once done, I will get back to you guys and tell you how it went Thank you very much for everything. I hope you can see the pics of the car

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfa , queries