Just thought Id up date the gearbox.
Took the job on not knowing what to expect but turned out to be pretty easy in the end. Didnt take the engine out just dropped it out of the rear mount and tilted it down on the front mount. you get enough access to remove the gearbox by doing that. had a brace over the top of the engine to support it and to lower it slowly. only had a trolley jack and a couple of axel stands.
After removing the gearbox and pricing the parts we thought we needed, which came to about 240stg, we took the drive train to a lad in notts to look at. he set us straight and we reduced the new parts to 4 synchros and 1 selector ring for 1st and 2nd, totally worn away, and a couple of `O` rings. all coming to 130stg.
the problem with the crunching is not just the worn synchro rings but also the teeth on the selector rings being worn away. 1st and 2nd are on one selector ring, 3rd and 4th are together, 5th is on its own but is still a twin selector so has a selector that has never been used. we took 5th selector and use it as 3rd and 4th, 3rd and 4th we put in 5th, using the 4th gear selector to now select 5th as 4th looked, not new, but pretty good. and in 1st and 2nd we used a new selector ring. new synchro rings went into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. no special tooling required just a circlip pliers and even that doesnt need to be an all singing all dancing one, 4.50 from the local hardwear did the job.
put it all back together and took it for a spin. unbelievable... better than new... its a totally different car, it can be driven properly now fast in and out of corners. GREAT
Anyone with the same problem give it a go, 2 days of car on blocks and a couple of bruised nuckles is all it was. result.