boss kit on 33 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
boss kit on 33

hi guy have an alfa 33 1.7 1988 and iv got an after market momo sterring wheels but no boss kit behind it so sterring is stiff?

iv removed my sterring wheel but there a shaf with pins or something
i need to remove that in order to put my new momo boss kit in any help how to and wat tools would i need thanx guy hope u can help??
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Why would the lack of a boss kit make the "sterring" stiff? The lack of power assistance is what makes the steering heavy. Smaller diameter steering wheels give you less leverage and require even more steering effort.
I changed my steering wheel anyway. The original steering wheel broke off its mounting when I tried to remove it, leaving me with the problem of removing this mounting before I could fit the aftermarket boss kit. With the big center nut removed, the original steering wheel bracket was still stuck too firmly on the shaft. I needed to use everything including a gear puller, chisel and heavy hammer to get it off.

Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 16v

If the steering wheel is not spaced away from the steering column surround, the back of the steering wheel will rub against it , when fitting the wheel you need to make sure it clears in both the upright position and fully down position.
This can be achieved by undoing the top nuckle joint of the steering column, 13mm, I found this out after i changed my PS rack for a non PS one

I don't understand how you have fitted the wheel without the boss kit, unless somehow the old steering wheel has come away from the old boss and you have drilled holes in it to match the Momo steering wheel.
Normally the whole wheel comes off inc the boss, exposing a shaft, this is achieved by undoing the large nut, I think a 36mm and the use of a steering wheel puller. That tool pulls the wheel from the stub, you could try gently tapping the exposed stub or rocking the wheel up/down / side/side to loosen it, mine have just come off with no trouble. The new boss and wheel should slide onto this stub until it can't go any further then tightened up. If the wheel does not move freely do what I said above.

As others have said, we need a pic

Alfa 33 16v

Click the link below to see what I'm doing to raise money for cancer research

Last edited by BigAl33; 09-02-12 at 14:24.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

boss , kit