16v Radiator into S3 Sud Ti - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Originally Posted by fly33boxer View Post
Well as some of you know i have been installing a 16v radiator into my Sud Ti trackcar.
The main reason for this is that the std cooler is a tad bit small and the 16v is about 30% bigger thus that much extra cooling.
This is quite a common mod for some of the AHM race cars (Sprint with 320BHP)
I thought i would give you all an idea of how i went about doing this.

Once you have a 16v radiator you can compare the two and there are quite alot of similarities between the two, but there is also some big differences aswell.

This is what you will need to do to the 16v radiator to make it fit:
- Drill out all of the spot welds for the fan mountings and brackets on the 16v one.
- Carefully prise the brackets off and clean and paint the surfaces
- Cut the lower plastic inlet down so that only 20mm is protruding (the bell end will need to come off due to clearence issues)
Now the radiator will fit in the hole you will cut out.

Line the radiator up and cut out the front rad suppt panel, then you can simple bend up a new panel out of steel (i used galv) and place it in the hole.

Once cut to size the two locating holes can be cut for the rad to slide into.

I also cut out extra mouths which will cool the lower half of the rad.

Obtain a good welder (Julian) and tack into place, it will only need to be tacked as it is not requred that much for strength.

Slide the radiator in and now the top mount will need to be made out of 90 deg alloy with a rubber grommet similar to the std mount. The std one cant be used as it will not allow the rad to sit in deeper. This can be pop riveted to the rad once marked up.

The next major issue is the clearence for the lower inlet, this can be sorted by obtaining a 32mm OD pipe section cut and welded to 40 Deg. This will allow for a 90 deg small rubber pipe to connect the alloy bend and modified original pipe. In addition i cut out some of the cam cover just for extra clearence.

I also pop riveted some alloy to both sides of the top of the rad to allow for two fans which are more efficient than the original ones.

What type of fan have you used, are they blowing air or sucking air ?
Nice tidy work

Thanks Liam
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Staffs

Member car:

Had a 33 1.7 QV

I think he said he's using Spal A/C fans that suck air. More powerful than the regular ones.

AO Member
County: Lancashire

Anybody goy any 33 air conditoining fans for sale,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

16v , radiator , sud