alright so the engine was dropped out the car not too much hassle and it was in to the fun stuff. First thing i did as i just couldn't resist was to pull the belt cover off, much less dramatic than i thought it was going to be. the belt had sorta wrapped around one of the wheels and stay in one piece, i didn't get a picture of this unfortunately but i might take a photo of the broken belt tomorrow.
Pulled the cam cover off and found out that the head bolts were some stupid Italian idea and required a tool that i didn't have. That delayed me for half a day but i was quite happy that when i pulled the cam cover off there was no damage. i had to go to my grandparents anyway the day i dropped the engine so i wouldn't have been able to do much else anyway. I headed down the local hardware while i was at grandads and bought a set of torx stuff only to get home and find they weren't torx at all and were infact a multi spline tool. so monday morning i called around every car shop and tool shop i could think of and no one A. knew what i was talking about and B. had any in the shop. so on a whim i went to the mechanics down the street to see if they could order one through the snap on tool guy, they said it would be about 50 bucks but before i left they went out the back and checked if they had one and vwa laa they did and just told me to bring it back in 10 minutes (i love living in a small town). so i ran home cracked the head bolts so i could undo them with my fingers and took the tool back. all this and i still didn't really know how i was getting the head back on, but when i bought it back they said i could borrow it again to reassemble.
Any way with the head bolts loosened i pulled out the hammer and block of wood and got to work smacking the head off. when it dropped off it all looked fairly reasonable but im pretty sure valves aren't meant to sit the way they were sitting.
now i have a question for you all before i continue my story. when you pull the gear off the end of the cam shafts is there a woodruff key or something like that so they hold there position when you put them back of or do i need to scribe a mark so they go back the way they came off?
with that in mind ill continue my story. i loosened the rear of the belt cover and removed the cam carriers this is were i found out that the cams wont pull back through the hole in the cover with out removing either the oil seal or gear. originally not wanting to replace the oil seal or remove the gear i left them in the belt cover holes and tried to wiggle this off. i found that you cant do this unless you remove the idler wheel. grrrrrrrrrrrrr yet another thing to remove. anyway that wasnt that hard and then i removed the cam buckets and seen how deep in the head the valve springs were.
how the hell am i getting that out with our crappy Taiwanese valve spring compressor was my thought. so using my well inherited tight arseness when it comes to stuff like this and buying the suitable tools, i went digging in the shed. i came out with a bit of tube a suitable size to fit in the cam bucket holes. i drilled three holes on opposite sides of the tube quite near the bottom and used various files and bench grinders to fashion it into a slot (the dremmel kit for 50 bucks in bunnings on sunday looks like an amazing deal now. wish i had the money to spend). i then wrapped the end in a lot of gaffa tape to prevent it scratching the hole and away i went. the valves were a bit awkward to get at as the spring compressor wasn't liking sitting on the bent valves and kept trying to jump off. the collets were a fun game of "surgery down a tube" and to be honest i have no idea how im getting them back in, but once we had done with the first few the others came out reasonably well.
the heavily bent valves took a punch and hammer to encourage them out but other than about 3 i think i managed to push them all out by hand. i also put the valves in backwards and all the valve guides seem nice and tight so there's no need for new guides IMO.
after joking around last night about going and buying all the parts today i got awoken buy dad giving me his bank card and pin number and the wise message use what you need but you have to pay me back (as he knows i have no money at the moment LOL). so with that in mind i went on a mission. first step was the doctors to sort out a bruised shin bone from a trail bike crash 2 weeks ago, then to the only car shop i hadn't called yesterday to get some valve grinding paste and lapping suction cup on a stick things. On a whim i asked them if they had a 12 mm multi spline tool, the guy ran off for about 2 minutes and came back with one for $11.95 so i was pretty happy with that and it isn't even a Chinese one. next stop was "the spare place" in the city (they also do mail orders i believe) and as i had hoped he had everything in stock and he knew exactly what i was after. the only thing he didn't have was loose head gaskets. so a $203 at trade price gasket kit later i had my head gaskets and a whole lot more work to do, as now i figure I've bought gaskets and seals for both sides so why not pull the other head off and renew the gaskets while the motors out the car. i had not previously planned to touch that side.
i think that's all for now, today was an expensive day and now ive just gotta spend the time to clean stuff and put it all back together and hope she runs with no problems and no more expense.
so as a parts recap i bought, gasket kit 4 inlet valve 4 exhaust valves (6 were damaged so decided i should replace all of them) cam-belts and jockey wheels for both sides and that's it. 600 bucks and that was with the spare place treating me nicely.
ill update soon