Series 2 Resto
I thought I start a new thread on the ongoing saga of restoring a 1988 33, series 2 Cloverleaf Veloce, 1.7, twin Webers.
Got her back 2 weeks ago from an engine rebuild; which also included the inevitable welding and the replacement of various bits like brake lines and fuel tank. (I am lucky as I managed to pick up a scrap 1988 33 series 2 to use as a spares car for £125 - has already paid for itself in bits)
It was already road-worth, just, (minor head gasket leak) before the engine rebuild but I had spent the previous year collecting and getting work done on the various bits for the rebuild.
Balanced bottom end
Lightened crank and flywheel
High lift cams
Ported and polished race heads
16v down pipes (had to remove the flanges and weld the old 8v flanges back on), stainless steel exhaust.
K & N filters
Spent Friday afternoon on a rolling road getting the carbs set up properly. After nearly five hours fettling the engine was running as near to sweet as possible and putting out 131 bhp, not bad when I think 108 bhp was standard for the 1.7 8 valve with carbs. The main and idle jets were increased, as was the idle advance and other bits and pieces.
Put a new set of 195 50 15s on the refurbed 145 wheels yesterday.
The next trick is to replace the springs and dampers. Have a set of new Konis for the rears and second hand Konis for the front with new lowered springs all round. All the bushes will be replaced at the same time along with a replacement gearbox - current one on the way out.
Next will be the body work and a respray, I left the side skirts off when the welding was done, skirts will go back on after.
Last of all will be the interior, haven't decided how far to go on that yet - depends what the funds are like.
I don't know what the previous owners had done to it but it had the wrong ignition system, it had Marelli and had to have a replacement Bosche system fitted - this used to cause major problems - it wouldn't restart for between 20 mins to 2 hours after a run - now works fine. The wheels it came with were Momo 14s with the wrong sized centres, way to large, lots of vibration in the steering. The steering rack will need changing at some point as the track rod ends are seized/too badly rusted to adjust - added to the list of things to do.