1.7 16V Boxer Engine in Alfa Sprint - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-11 Thread Starter
County: T'ai-chung
1.7 16V Boxer Engine in Alfa Sprint

My car is 1989 Alfa Sprint 1.7, I got a 145 1.7 16V Boxer engine, if I want to put it in my Sprint without electric control system, just put my Dellorto carbs on it, what problem should I solve, does anyone done this PROJECT before~?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
Hi and welcome here! If you search this forums lots of people have done this its relatively straight forward you need a 16v cross member and anti roll bar easy enough then you have to source or make some intakes for the carbs and set it up on mapped ignition. Good luck and keep us posted.
County: Nicosia
well, I may add something to that

You will need the back plate of your old engine block - which has the mechanical fuel pump mount and hole - in order to work with your current fuel pump.
Then you will need the flywheen of your old engine as well - no point in dragging the extra weight of the 16v flywheel since you wont have a crank sensor.
The crank pulley needs to be skimmed of the third belt slot which is the air condition belt. That will give you clearance between the engine and radiator.
The oil pressure sensor needs to be replaced with the one thats on your engine now in order to have correct readings in your dashboard.
Then as CJY said, the front section of the crossmember will give you the clearance you need for the extra 2 cams
Finally, you will need to change your dizzy to the one you've got on now - either marelli or bosch.
If the 16v engine you got is without a dizzy and has electronic coil pack, you will need to get rid of those and change the oil pump as well in order for the dizzy to sit in place.

let me find the threads on mine - still not finished - and post them here
County: Nicosia
Here you go

although its gone a bit further than that since the last pictures

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

16v , alfa , boxer , engine , sprint