list of s3 33 problems I need help with - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 26-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

list of s3 33 problems I need help with

Hi LAds,

Just finished getting a 33 restored and back on the road, today was the first proper day out for her, wwe had an AO meet so brought her along

However right from the start and throughout I have had the following problems I'm hoping you can help me with

1) Fuel pump is making a very loud noise, its high pitched as though a motor is spinning too fast or not being allowed spin, at other times you cant hear it. Is the pump supposed to be noisy or should you hear it at all? It just seems a little too loud.
2) In the lower gears especially 1st and 3rd I'm losing power, the revs will start to climb then stop and drop off and the car will become very slouchy and in one or two cases cut out altogether, its like no spark at the plug or more like its running out of fuel but the plugs are new and the tank full.
3) 1st gear is a real chore and there is a knack to engaging it. IT will crunch badly when selected and you can feel the cogs grinding, to engage it I have to clutch it and move the stick in a bit then stop and sometimes you will feel something click then you move it the rest of the way in and then it engages but if you try to do it in one movement it grinds terrible and wont go in, also reverse only goes in when it wants to, its like there is no reverse at all sometimes when trying to select it.

The car is these three problems away from being perfect, any suggestions?

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
Sponsored Links
County: Nicosia
well ... the power issues must have something to do with your fuel pump...

The fuel pump will make a buzzing noise when its near the end of its life, OR if a pipe going to the engine is clogged somewhere.
It could also be a problem of your regulator, needing more pressure to open !
You'll need to check that out. The easiest way is to ckeck your pipes underneath to see if you jacked the car from a fuel pipe or something.
Then you can go from there on checking the rest.

Regarding the gearbox issues... well mate , given that you've bleeded the clutch well, thats something you need to get used to

I always find it easier to engage reverse if I engage 4th gear first and then go for reverse

First gear is not a problem as long as you engage it slowly and not while reving !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

list , problems