AlfaSud GTA wannabe ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 26-08-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 75 3.0

Help AlfaSud GTA wannabe !

I did a pretty stupid thing a while ago...

...I went and bought an '82 AlfaSud 1.5ti which had been prepared for the local AROC trofeo series...

....all the usual things (induction/heads/exhaust/etc etc)...have been done to it to comply with the rules, which are pretty limiting and require a full interior

I'm in the middle of converting it to outboard vented rotors at the moment...and I'm now thinking of going the whole hog and converting it to a somewhat higher spec'd class (which has very few rules)...anyone got any (left-field)ideas where you've got good results...

Mike J

Alfa 75 3.0 V6-(driven like it's stolen !!)
AlfaSud ti-(GTA wannabe !!)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: AlfaSud GTA wannabe !

Always fancied the idea of cutting the body off a Sud or Sprint and fitting it to the floor pan of a Subaru Impreza……….in one of my more optimistic moments

That would pretty much relegate it out of the AROC series though although engine would still be a flat four

Can't help you with any sensible answers though
AO Platinum Member
County: -

Alfa 3.2L V6 to the sud?
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

75 LE

I've heard of a sud with inboard and out board brakes!!!
Solid Top mount
1.7 engine 16 or 8v (8v prabably best as it's 50kgs lighter (see below)
Remove everything you can (door seals inclueded) Make it as liight as you can ... lighter = quicker
FibreGlass panels (see above)

It depends what you want to spend really
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 27-08-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 75 3.0

Idea Re: AlfaSud GTA wannabe !

Cheers Toad...

I'm embarrased to tell you how long I've been tinkering with the car...but now I've finally made the decision to get on with it!!

The inboard/outboard isn't that unusual..the set up is to keep a handbrake (which is on the front) without having to change the rears...I'm doing front and rear (from a late model Sprint donor) which means I can remove the inboards..

You'd be surprised just how liberal the rules for the "GTA" class are !! Engine: must be Alfa (that's all it says !!), Bodywork: Replicas are permitted but must be Alfa !!

The plan is (at the moment) a 1700cc 8V running on carbs (but I'll be competing with guys who are running 16V)...I know a guy who is a motorsport engineer who has built some really good engines..I'm trying to talk him into doing the heads for me...the cams are unrestricted so I'm looking to get a little funky with them (C&B)!!.

The induction was pretty standard (36DHLA) when I bought the car but I've pulled off the airbox and replaced it with two K&Ns on 40mm trumpets...(which works really really well as I'm still running it as a 1500cc!!)..I'm in the process of investigating running 40 or 45 DHLA carbs when the new motor is ready.

I'm pretty sure the car is almost as light as it can go without getting into fibreglass or carbon fibre (there's nothing but paint, a seat, belts, fire extinguisher and a battery left in the interior!!)....but I'm going to have one last look at it before I'm satisfied (as while writing this I've thought of a couple more bits I can dispense with!!) !...Polymer windows feature on the wish list also.I'm even down to considering the weight advantages of different wheel/tyre combinations !...

Also in progress is the process of fabrication of a really deep front spoiler for it (aerodynamics & asthetics !) having just located the last "new" mk1 spoiler in the country...a friend works with carbon fibre and kevlar so things could get interesting...(carbon fibre splitter !! )

I'll try to keep the forum posted on progress

Last edited by genius; 28-08-04 at 02:24.
AO Member

quad brakes work and work well, just need some serious bleeding, apart from that forced induction is fun in a sud, super or turbo, either way it works pretty well
AO Member

Member car:

159, Alfasud Ti

Any progress to report on Mr Genius?
AO Member

Member car:

1987 Sprint

how well did the velocity stacks work on the standard 36 carbs? im planning on putting some 35mm ones with the obligitory air cleaners...
did you gain or loose much of anything
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Evan - Last I heads he was plotting a rather nefarious scheme to lay the opposition to waste. I'm sure he'll share it when the time comes...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfasud , gta , wannabe