engine mods - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Australia
engine mods

hi all. my 33 will probably need a rebuild soon or a donor engine built up to go straight in. so my main question is. firstly is it easier to drop the engine out underneath the car or hoist it up and out. secondly i would like a bit more performance out of the engine so i was wondering if you can suggest anything. i notice there are a few of you who race 33s so i was hoping some one would be able to help me with relatively cheap mods to get a bit more go out the engine.
cheers for your help
as an addition im a student so that probably gives a decent budget guide cheers
silly me for missing the important info its a 88 8valve 1.7
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Drop the engine and box as one unit and bring it out under the car. much much easier than lifting it out.

Im not sure cheap performance gains and boxer engines go hand in hand but im sure some of the racers can clear that up.
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire
First question, raise the front of the car as high as you can and drop the unit of a trolley jack. Split the engine and gearbox once it's on the ground. I used to be able to do an engine change in one day working myself with just axle stands and a trolley jack.

Fitted a 1.7 8V to my Sud many years ago. It had the following done to it:-

Bottom end lightened and balanced.
Inlet manifolds matched to heads.
Valves de-shrouded and 3 angled.
Up-rated valve springs.
Deck height reduced to increase compression ratio.
Trumpets with socks.

The guy who built my engine (was based in a small unit on an airfield somewhere near Gloucester, can't remember his or the companies name) reckoned the standard cam could generate 140 BHP if the engine was breathing correctly. If you wanted more, you then went into pocketing the pistons to allow bigger valves and more aggresive cams.
I never really got the best out of the engine because it was running with a 1.5 QV manifold as I still had inboard discs (which prevent the fitting of a 1.7 QV manifold).
Engine was mated to a 1.5 QV gearbox (shorter ratios than a 1.7) and was extremelly rapid through the gears. Mid-range grunt was awesome. Induction noise was addictive. Never had a working speedo the whole time I had the car, but I once saw 7K RPM in top!
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 18-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Australia
gotta love the non working speedo mine stopped working like 6 months ago but now its a bit colder it works again. similar thing happens with my central locking now i think of it. it works far better in the cold (well my cold not your british cold). stiffer springs sounds reasonable so it'll rev a bit more but then i dunno if huge revs will be usable on the road (possibly a track day or two in the future but ill need racing stuff for that i.e. suit license etc). i wouldn't have thought of dropping the box as well, i would've tried to split it on the car so thanks for that heads up. any other suggestions for engine mods. what do we all think of the airbox? leave it or trumpet it. also with trumpets 90degree (like standard sorta think on the webbers) or straight up.
cheers again
AO Silver Member
Drive it onto ramps.
Remove front bumper depending on ramp height.
Drop engine and box from below using trolley jack as said earlier.
Done it in 2 hrs on my own using this method.

Bang for bucks get a 16V and put in.

If you want to stick with the 8V then headwork and cams
Unless you are going to make a cold airbox and get some ram effect then filtered straight pipes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

engine , mods