Ok no point in taking another video.
Arrived at work and for sure a lovely sewing machine ticking noise, especially from one tappet.
Not worth trying a thick oil say 60 viscosity no, or mineral??
Well if I'm to do this work myself (to save a fortune on labour costs), I will need some help.
So in the steps I'll need to take: (please correct me if I'm wrong)
If possible with engine still mounted and carbs left attached.
1) drain coolant and take out radiator, grill and bonnet(optional)
2) place support under exhaust manifold, and remove the 2 bolts on each exhaust manifold connection to cylinder head underneath. or tie them up so they don't sag under the weight.
3) remove timing belts
4) remove air filter
5) loosen the 6 large bolts (#1 in manual) that attach to cylinder head/engine block
6) remove cylinder head and camshaft support (plus carbs) in one piece.
7) loosen 4 bolts attaching camshaft support to cylinder head
8) access to tappets revealed in camshaft support. (How are these removed? Do they just slide out of the camshaft support?)
90 How do I check bearings.
10) will remove oil sump to clean
From here on I'm still not sure. Have to learn. I have another document on how to disassemble and clean the tappets.
How to clean and recondition your Hydraulic Tappets
Do I need to remove the camshaft to remove the tappets (I don't believe so).
1) A good size torque wrench
2) new gaskets for cylinder head and camshaft support and exhaust manifolds (necessary I imagine)
3) possibly new springs for tappets
4) what seals do I need?
Also if i do this myself (which I would love to do), probably in about 3-4 months before the end of winter and beginning of summer.
For a beginner how long would this job take?