start after 7 years - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 30-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Pembrokeshire

Member car:

Hmmm start after 7 years

hi guys

going by the last tax disc it was last on the road in 2004 how ever i dont no if it has been started since

so im going to get this car on the weekend. going to put a new battery on and drain tank . put some new fuel in. clean plugs etc

should i tern the key and see if it starts ?

tow it in 5th before to get engine moving ?

new oil or wait untill i do engine overhall ?
Sponsored Links
will most likely be rust in the bores which could damage the block

see if it turns over by hand first, big spanner on the crank pulley or take the starter off and move the flywheel teeth round with a prybar.

i wouldn't bother going to all the trouble of draining the tank, there isn't a drain underneath it anyway so syphoning would be the only option unless you take it off.
just take a gallon can of fresh fuel and a length of 8mm fuel pipe. connect it straight to the fuel pump inlet, that will be bets for getting it running and won't have to pump the fuel so far i've even known folks put the can inside the car when they want to give it a quick run around not on the road though you understand

take the spark plugs out if you can and give them a clean up, be careful though as they can sieze into the alloy heads. if they feel they are going to break leave them in and wait until you strip the engine

some thin oil down the spark plug holes won't hurt too. crank it over a few times with the oil in the bores, it will help get some compression back in

is tempting to get it running though, i couldn't resist doing the same to mine and it had been stood for about 9 years
AO Silver Member
County: Budapest
With the plugs removed try to turn over the crankshaft by hand.
If you want spray some WD-40 into the cylinders before.
By towing the car you won't feel if any of the piston rings gets stuck.

During the years the impurities are nicely settled in the oil sump, so i think
it's a good idea to replace the oil and the oil filter, before trying to start the engine.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Well in my case i just got a new battery and gave it a try after also 7 years. With a little difficulty it started.

Few Tips:

- Get fresh gas and if possible , try to put little on the carbs to help the engine fire easily. 8 years are a lot of time and gas has certainly lost lots of its octanes.
- Clean ground connections to help the current. Weak spark will not help things...
- Fresh oil will be a good start also and possible remove any residues. The cost after all is not that much.
- Also very important. After all this year there is the possibility that your brake pump might have dry seal which means that braking is not that safe due to loosing pressure slowly. At least on first run try to go slow and test brakes if they keep their pressure while you keep your foot on the petal for some time. If the petal is not giving up then you are good. Certainly your brake fluids should be changed shortly with fresh one and without humidity inside.

If you are uncertain about the engine or you want to avoid damage to cylinder , one way is to insert some oil probably through spark plug hole. Problem is to find a way to go all over the cylinder and not just on the piston. Maybe a straw will be a solution. Oil will help ring to slide easily inside cylinder wall without damaging them on the first attempt.

( of course none of them was done in my case but at the time i was ignoring them ......)

Sprint 1.7 '85
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
A bit off topic story here. When I had the same question with my Jag V12 I had far fewer options. The inaccessible plugs had been in there for at least 14 years. You cant get at at the crank pulley to turn over the engine. I wasn't going to spend money on 2.5 gallons of oil and a 15 filter on the off chance of it being OK so most of the choices here weren't an option. Anyway what I did was, I turned the engine over on the starter untill the oil pressure light went out then used fresh fuel from a can with an electric pump and turned it over again till it fired. I then got out as many of the plugs as I could (about 7 of them) cleaned and gapped them and put them back in. After more fiddling with the carbs(4 of them) the engine finally fired up after an 11 year sleep. I ran the engine a fair few times up to temp after that just to try to heat it up to get the last five plugs out over a two week period. Not untill I was sure the engine was sound did I touch anything else. That was 14 years ago and the engine is still running as smooth as any you will hear.
Anyway the point of my story is that if the engine turns and starts you can move forward from there. If the engine does not start it already needs work, so what harm can be done?. We have old cars for fun ,getting one running that's been asleep for years is part of that fun for me.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 30-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

this info is amazing guy thank you. i can work on engines but have never started one that has stood for that long.
its going to be really good to here it peeeerrrrrrrr
AO Silver Member
County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

I had the 1.5 engine (in what became the 6C) standing a long time and I just changed the battery, put some petrol in the tank and cranked it on the starter about 5 times - it got oil pressure, then coughed a bit, then started running cleaner and cleaner
The biggest problem was the leaks from the flexible petrol pipes but I was taking the engine out anyway.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 30-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

thanks again mate. im shore i will get to meet you helpful guys at one of the meets this year ( hhhummm maybe next year tho haha may take that long)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

start , years