Alfa No 2 !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-06-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Alfa No 2 !!

As the gearbox in the 155 is broke I needed a cheap motor to bomb about in so I just bought a 1994 8v 1.7ie 33...

It's done 80,000 and with the exception of a slight bit of crumbling in the engine bay (along the inner wing seams) it seems incredible solid....

Needs shocks as its a bit bouncy and an exhaust as there is a great hole in the centre section !!.....oh and I need a new missus cause the old one is about to leave me on the grounds of insanity !!!!!!

Also.... wheels... I have two 15" pepperpot speedlines as fitted to the 33, 155 and 164 and would like two more to stick on it as it currently has steely's.... so if anyone has a couple of these knocking around that they want rid of let me know !

And any advice on the pitfalls of 33 ownership would also be appreciated !!

Screw Flanders
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

155 super, 33 P4

Re: Alfa No 2 !!

Hi Dan,

Didn't know your 155 gearbox was kaput - must have missed that over on the 155 forae, but I haven't been on the foum much for a couple of weeks so easy to miss stuff. Sorry to hear Is it being repaired?

Anyway, glad to see you haven't given up on the Alfas. Have u got both on the driveway at the moment wonder the missus is going spare, afraid I can't help you out on that score!

What about that sound from the flat-4 then How do you rate it next to the V6???

Can't really dish much advice out, being pretty non-technical myself. Tracee's 33 tends to get hot in traffic, but I don't know if that's a general problem. Usual problems that crop up I think are top strut bearings on the front, knackered 2nd gear synchro (just a pain rather than something that will stop you from driving it) and the general rust issues. The front wings on ours is starting to go, but I don't think there is anything structural going (yet!).

1997 155 2.0 16v Super, 1991 33 Permanent 4
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 10-06-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Alfa No 2 !!

Hi Ben,

I haven't really posted much about the V6 'box, I know it's knackered so I didn't really see the point other than sticking a note in the wanted section !!.... I've found a guy who'll repair it for 90+VAT plus any parts but gearbox internals are expensive so I may just wait til I find one in a scrapper.... I've spoke to the ebay breaker guy with the red v6 and to be honest he can keep it - he wants 235 no guarantees/warranties etc!.... personally I think it's about 180 to dear..... so I bought the 33 to see me through.......maybe when the V6 is sorted I'll sell the 33 or maybe I'll strip it and track day it !!

At the mo the boxer can't really be heard as the centre pipe has a bloody big hole in it but I'm gonna tin can, bandage and jubilee clip that up tonight then I'll compare the two !!

At least I'll have an alfa to go to NAD in and not the (ex!!) good-ladies Citroen !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint