Fuel filler cap overhaul tutorial - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 12-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 16v

Fuel filler cap overhaul tutorial

For those that are free members and find it annoying to have to click a link to get a picture, go here instead

Following from this thread

I was after replacement fuel filler cap rubber, as I lost mine, it probably flew out when I dropped my cap once.

I got a whole cap from Alex, thanks mate, I took that one apart and took some photo’s for a tutorial.
I wanted to service mine as it has started to become stiff and instead of just filling up the lock with white grease, I would properly service it.

Pics of it apart

You can see the rubber gasket that I wanted on the left, it sits in the part next to it, that has a thread and screws into the filler neck.
This then pushes onto the cap on the right, with the bits in the middle looking like this
The metal clip holds the lock
in place.
When the lock is turned the nodule at the end of the barrel turns on the spring loaded plastic slider
This either locks or unlocks the threaded part by locating in the grooves
here you can see it in action

The barrel has a stop tag on it which the cap allows the key to turn a set amount
It’s not easy to see.

To take it apart there are 3 lugs that hold the whole thing together, prize them over one by one. I heated up the cap with a hair dryer so it didn’t snap.
The whole thing is spring loaded by a loose spring, so don’t loose the spring when you take the centre out.
You can now remove the U shaped clip holding in the barrel
Make sure the lock is in the position where the plastic slider is out, otherwise when you take out the barrel the spring and plastic slider will fly out.
Check to see that all the tumblers move freely, if they don’t you can use a screwdriver and tap from the bottom side until it moves freely.
I chose to tap all the corrosion out lightly with the screw driver and soak it in lime scale remover, then clean with a wire brush, rinse with water and dry with a hair drier and lube it up afterwards. I would fill the whole lot up with white grease and never have to worry about it again.

Fit together by putting in the spring loaded plastic slider, then the lock and then the U shaped clip to retain the lock. Then put the spring back in place and push the cover back on, making sure all 3 clips lock back in place.

When I took mine apart I noticed it was different, there are no 3 clips but a round plastic cover that is glued in place.
Luckily mine came off without any problem, also the whole of the middle part is made of metal and not plastic like the other one. This metal will never allow the key to turn more than it should, unlike the other one which did.
I also noticed a rubber grommet around the barrel
which is missing from the other one

All three parts

When I put mine back together, I weighed down the centre part and applied industrial strength super glue to both parts and then let it set for 1 hour. The thing is under constant pressure from the spring so no harm.

Alfa 33 16v

Click the link below to see what I'm doing to raise money for cancer research

Last edited by BigAl33; 12-01-11 at 21:32.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

cap , filler , fuel , overhaul , tutorial