Removing rear shocks - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
Removing rear shocks

Hello all, I want to replace my rear shocks and have one question. The Haynes manual seems to suggest but is not clear, that you jack up and support the car not the axle. But if I do this I can see I might struggle to get enough clearance below the axle to get the shocks out, so I'm thinking of supporting it under the axle on stands. My question is is it safe to remove the shocks with the springs compressed?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Devon
If you are careful, it should be. Undo the top nuts inside the boot first and remove the top rubber bush. Jack up the car on the axle gently (it will be a bit pogo-ey). Undo the 2 bottom bolts on the axle and remove the damper through the larger part of the hole.
AO Silver Member
County: -
The trick is to increase distance between axle and suspension in order to have clearance removing them. So the procedure is to jack up the car from the middle , put couple of tripods under the jacking points and release the axle in order to increase the car. This way they will pop up easily ( taking in mind that you have removed the nuts previously).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

rear , removing , shocks