I started back on the sud bodywork resto last week, the N/S/R wing area.
The job turned into a bit of a nightmare to say the least, here is the low down on it.....
Last spring you maybe remember that I fitted a new wheel arch repair panel to this side, the other side being good and only needing a few pieces of metal letting in.
On examination I found that a previous owner had damaged the front section of the rear wing and after removing some filler last week I found that there was a crease in the panel the metal had stretched
Due to the thickness of metal used on these series 1 cars (or rather lack of it!) the metal will stretch very easily, this causes the panel to pop in and out when lightly pressed. Anyone familiar with this problem will know that the only way to cure this problem is to shrink the panel, it cannot just be pushed in and filled (although i've seen it done!)
photo 1 shows the damaged area
photo 2 shows the arch tacked in place
photo 3 shows some sealant applied just before wiping off the excess with some thinners