It was time to attack the cylinder head, whats to bare in mind here is I don't have a garage in my new house. I work from my shed, and at this point I didn't even have a bench!
I preped the head, washing off the thick gloop and the congealed mass. Then preped the missus, The only place this was going to get done realistically was the dining room table!
Once I could see the metal beyond the tar-like buildups I split the intake manifold from the head and started up a labelling scheme for each valve assembly.
Shortly after undertaking the rebuild I realised that I was going to need a valve sprint compressor, Something that I don't have. Something perhaps some of the other Sud owners may have already experianced out there is that; Upon buying my Sud, and indeed meeting people after arriving in the sud everyone has a story to tell.
The most beneficial of these was my next door neighbor, Who used to be a machanic before getting fed up and moved into demolition.
He helped me with a few qwerky tasks (and with the lifting of the engine into my garden), But best of all, he has tools on tap and knows the knacks and tricks of the trade.
Enter the spring compressor...
Back on track i started stripping the head of It's valves.
The spring compressor I used is quite small, and grabs the base of the spring and acts against the valve cap rather than from the other end of the valve and the valve cap.
This proved to make things difficult, but possible.
I found as i worked though the process that only the Inlet valves had oil seals on the stems, these were in a bad state, and were removed with pliars in several peices off there seated shoulders in the head.
The exhaust valves had seats for the oil seals, but no oil seals. After trawling a bit of this forum I found the answer: On earlier models the cylinder heads only had shoulders for stem seals on the inlets, not the outlets. And this is just how it was designed and fitted.
I'm assuming the previous re-builder fitted the 4 oil seals that came with the 1.3 head gasket and let it be.
Lucky for me! (hmm) I have 2 head-sets which both contain 4 oil seals.
What came next was the de-coking of the valves and general refurb of the cylinder head.
As suggested I took the cylinder head to a machinist i knew in Hilsea, He skimmed the head as all it really needed was re-facing. No real metal was needed to be removed.
The valves I cleaned up with first a bath in Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda - Bought from B&Q), This was done by mixing the concentration in some spare SMA baby milk tins I had kicking around (I have about 2000 of these things thanks to being blessed with twin babies 7 months ago).
This loosened up all the crap off the steel valve, but the chemical does not attack steel - Aluminium is another story, but I didn't use it on the head.
Fast forward to the refit-
Valves went back as they came out, be-it alot cleaner faced, Ground the valves back in with first coarse then fine paste.
Wham Bam, the valves were back in place, In order and the camhousing and camshaft were back over the tappets.
3 Feeler guages and a couple of gaskets later I was measuring the tappet clearances.
Due to the adjustable tappets design, I had to craft a custom tool to adjust them.
Out came the dremel and grinding disc, A sacrafice of a allen key, a 8mm socket and extension bar: I had the perfect tool.
Satisfied with my achievement, I watched the Formula 1 and had a slap up sunday roast.