33 Brake / Clutch leak ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-04-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
33 Brake / Clutch leak ??

Hey all,

The Problem:

My Series 1 33 seems to be using a bit of brake fluid. The "low brake-fluid" warning light on the dash comes on every 2 or so months, and the brakes slowly get spongey over this time.

I regularly check under the car for signs of leaking fluid and always find nothing, but I have to top-up the reservior with a considerable amount of fluid each 2 months - so it must be leaking somewhere! There are definately no leaks from any of the brake cylinders on each wheel, and all brake lines seem to be fine aswell.

I thought it possible that fluid was leaking onto something hot like the exhaust, because sometimes when idling, a slight burning smell is noticeable, but after some inspection, this does not seem to be the case.

The Question:

As the brake and clutch fluid share the same master cylinder/reservior, is it possible that fluid is leaking somewhere internally around the clutch - so I can't see any leaks - and that this fluid is burning off causing the smell? And if this was the case, would this make the brakes go spongey?

The clutch functions fine all the time.

Or is there something completely different that could be happening??

Looking forward to your replies,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Re: 33 Brake / Clutch leak ??

The brake juice may be drying off too quickly for you to see traces, especially on hot callipers!
How about getting the car up on jacks, and have a faithful companion pump and hold the pedal firmly?
Maybe with cold brakes, the fluid will sit and you'll see it.

Otherwise, sponginess is the sign (as you know) of air in the system. So could air be ingressing through this same area as the fluid is.
And no, the clutch will not cause spongy brakes. The sponginess comes from the pressurised side of the brake system, the clutch is not on the pressurised side.

Best of luck.

For Sale: Alfa Romeo Spark Plugs - NGK laser platinum, 10mm & 14mm. PM me.

"And now my friend, the first rule of italian driving. Whatsa behind me is not important."

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

brake , clutch , leak