hope u r all doing great with yr Alfa's
Here I'll be posting pics about my build of my Alfasud, where I fitted a 33 1.7IE 8v (Jetronic) Engine
I'll start with the very 1st build, when I had lots of probs with the engine, after I had the car body-worked after my accident, the garages here in Egypt are not commonly working with Alfa's (as they're rare, even new Alfa's) so when they try to fix something, they treat it as FIAT, which's a very big mistake in my opinion!
That's when I started DIY for my Alfa, 1st thing I've done was to fix the old engine, it was over-heated & pistons were seriously damaged, & let me stop here to let you know what exactly happened!!
After the accident, the radiator was damaged & the mechanic I was dealing with didn't notice that, so the engine wasn't cooling probably, that's where the pistons got damaged & had a torsion in one of the crank shaft bearing, which in sequence caused the cylinder heads gaskets to leak water into oil, & I had an engine running on oil-water mixture!!! so I got back to him to discover that when he installed the manifold over the engine, he was bending the water hose, which caused the problem in 1st place! so then he decided to replace the bearings & the damaged pistons, so he suggested to install FIAT 132 1600 pistons instead of the sud's stock ones!! which was a huge mistake as well & as I was a newbie by that time, I couldn't decide whether this was a bad or good thing, but he convinced me that this's gonna give the car more displacement & power, so I went with that, plus he added that Alfa pistons will be so expensive & I won't be able to find them -I was a student by that time, so my funds were very limited!- finally he installed that & the engine was cranked again (will post the video)
As a consequence of the previous unawareness of engine specs & what should be really done with it, the engine didn't last few days, & I started getting all kind of smokes out of the exhaust!! again I went back to him & we discovered that one of the pistons got a hole in it on the top!!! that was because when he was trying to fit the pistons, he made them on exactly the same level as the block end, which can't be with a boxer engine (again they're treating it as a normal 4-inline FIAT engine) moreover that he had to shave some of the piston top, which made it very thin where it supposed to face the explosions in the combustion chamber!!
Now guess what was his solution for that?! he decided to WELD the piston top WHILE IT'S STILL IN THE BLOCK!!!!!!! as a result, the engine couldn't make it for couple of Km's where it started smoking again, but this time I decided not to go back to that hell garage!
I had the car moved to my other house where I can get more room to work on my Alfa (around 80 Km's away) & i started the 1st build
This build was basically about getting the engine working again, until I get the donor Alfa 33 from Italy to fit it's engine in my Alfa, so it was about changing the pistons, getting the block & crank shaft machined & finally install the engine back! (I'll post a video -which I'm very proud of- where I install the engine for the 1st time myself alone
Now the engine was installed, cranked & car is up & running again, few months later, I received the donor 33, & I had to start my 2nd build.
In this one, I installed the whole driving-train of the 33, the electric loom & the front suspension, later on, I got the car body worked again & re-painted to it's current state
Now it's about just few final bits to do, before the project can be officially done!
I faced a lot of problems with the builds I made, but the one I couldn't sort out till now is the radiator, the Alfa 33 one is very big to fit in the sud, & I can't install the sud one as it won't probably cool down a 1.7 engine! so I cut some of the front linkage to be able to fit the radiator under the hood -as I had sometime running with the car without a hood cover nor front finders, it was fun
- but this didn't actually fix the problem, as the fan didn't fit & was always being eaten by the alternator's belt, even when I remove the power steering & A/C belts & pumps!!! I tried another despaired solution, which was to fit a fan that works in the opposite direction -a slim one- to pull the air from the front of the car & push it to the radiator, & this caused the over-heat sensor to be activated -as the fan didn't actually cool the water at all!!- & prevent the engine from running until the battery ran out of charge & I had to re-charge it again -as I didn't think of that by that time- & try when the car cooled down & it was running like a charm again!!!
so up until this point, I couldn't -still- sort out that radiator issue!!
I know it's a very long post, but I had to let u all know what I've done
I'll post pics when I get back from work