Some weak spots of the 33's:
- underbody rust: mainly @ the floor panel spot welded joints, around the jacking points,
in the trunk the rear crossmember and the floorplate (including the spare wheel section)
joints. Petrol tank outside rust.
- rust on the lower section of the doors.
- exhaust corrosion: the pipe section after the catalytic converter, including the rear muffler.
- gearbox synchro mechanisms are undersized
, if you hear creaky noise when shifting gears,
that indicates the wear. Wear at the rubber parts of the gearshift linkage causing noise
and vibration from the gear lever.
- engine: in some cases the oil pump can't delivers the nominal pressure and the hydraulic cam
lifting tappets are very sensitive to low oil pressure, it's recommended to check the oil pressure
at idle RPM with an external gauge (hot engine) if (light) knocking noise can be heard from the
cylinder heads (that may indicates tappet wear).
Also recommended to check the efficiency of the lambda probe, it can cause poor fuel economy.
The fuel consumption of the 1.5 engine with this Bosch Jetronic injection is 35 to 28 MPG.
Generaly a 33 needs more care.