1.7 IE 8 V cam timing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-10 Thread Starter
County: Queensland

Member car:

1.7 IE 8 V cam timing

I have the heads off at the moment and noticed the valves are closed when the two lines on the face of the pulleys are at 45 deg. This to me seems odd as the lines are supposed to line up with the hole at the top when installing the belts aren't they???? Can someone please explain the procedure for fitting the belts.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Budapest
Hi !

As I recall the camshaft in the right head (from front of the vehicle view: left head)
will not remain in position when the cam belt is removed (when the crankshaft in TDC
position). At reassembling (all) the camshafts pulleys must be positioned with marks
on top and kept in that position until the belts are attached. During this the crankshaft
must be in TDC position otherwise you can damage the valves. After that you can
adjust the belt tensioners. By hand or with a wrench turn the crankshaft (clockwise)
by 360 degrees, and recheck the all timing marks (camshaft, flywheel). If the vehicle
is equipped with mechanical distributor it's recommended to check the rotor arm position
too. It must point towards the 1st cylinder segment in the distributor cap @ TDC.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 13-07-10 Thread Starter
County: Queensland

Member car:

Thanks LoneWolf33, I'm going to check again this weekend, but I'm fairly certain that on both pulleys the marks are at 45 deg. I haven't taken the cam cover off to see the lobes but it took some effort with the pulley to try to get the marks vertical and naturally pulled back to the 45deg position. This, to me , seems counter-intuitive. I guess I don't want to make a mistake.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

cam , cambelt , timing