Need to start chosing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Need to start chosing

Hi everyone

I'll be looking to buy a 33 this year. I was at first hoping to get a series 3, preferably 1.7ie, but after a bit of looking, it may be a bit out of my budget to get a series 3 as they are ridiculously expensive here (i live in cyprus).

I'll still try finding a series 3, cuz every so often they come up for cheap, but I most probably wont.

There are plenty of Series 2 1.5Ti alfas for good money. What I would like to know is how much would I give up in

1) Performance
2) Fun
3) Reliability

by picking the 1.5Ti Series 2 over a

1) 1.5 series 3
2) 1.7 series 2
3) 1.7ie series 3.

I was already told that a series 3 is more preferable by far and I would ultimately want one and I'll look for one. I don't want to know which car is better (cuz I know the series 3 is :P) but I just want to know what I would give up by choosing a series 2...

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 155, GTV V6

Re: Need to start chosing

I had a 1.7 (S2), and it's performance was good. Talking with other 33 owners, who also had injected (1.5 and 1.7), was that the injected models were far better around town (slower and stop-start driving), and better in the cold (winter starting etc). On the open road there was not much difference I understand.

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 perm 4

the 1.7 injection (not ie) was the most powerful of the flat 4's. 137bhp from my last 33 before the mods.

the perm 4 offers very good grip and handling
you shouldnt lose any of the reliablity by having an series 2 1.5 i have had 2 and had no real problems with either.

dont get the ie.. its the crap injection car. not as much power as the other 16v injection cars.

they are all fun and you wont miss the 1.7 if you dont get one. the 1.5 is quite quick for a 1.5 and will out pull many modern cars.

if you want one, get one. i did and have never looked back. 4 alfa's later and i'm looking to get my 5th.

have fun.

if life was easy, everyone would do it.
AO Platinum Member

Find yourself a P4 if you can. It's the best one.

The S3 1.7i.e wasn't too bad. It had less poke but it's miles more torquey than a 16v up to 4000 rpm. I had one as a courtesy car once and in some ways it drove better than my 16v Permental-4.

The only problem with S2s is getting parts, if the grief I have for my P4 is exponential.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member
County: Setúbal

I find the 16v to be torquey enough It just overwelms you a little more when you go past 4000rpm... and then again when through 4600 - 5000rpm... There she really rocks!!

All the Best

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

chosing , start