alfasud 17 16v sc - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 13-06-10 Thread Starter
County: Melliea
alfasud 17 16v sc

Dear all,
First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Anton from the island of Malta. I own a 1979 Alfasud 1.5 ti for the last 11 years. I bought the car when I was 19 and used every day for nearly a year. Using it everyday I learnt how great these cars really are. Considering their age it had super handling which I still can`t find a car with similar driving pleasure when it comes to front wheel drive. The 147 comes near but I still pick the Sud. Anyway after a minor accident I decided to cut out the rusty panels mainly the rear wheel arches, front mudgaurds and the wind screen`s lower part where the wipers are attached. I managed to find new replacements and after a respray in the original capua di monte colour I fitted a twin carbed 1.5 engine. I drove the car for 9 more months and after it was back in the garage.
Actually I was not satisfied with the paint colour and finish and the engine did have great sound but I still preffered the single twinchoke one.Apart from that I had trouble with 2nd gear syncros so I decided to buy an other runner and rebuild the sud in a better way.
For some unknown reason I ended up modifying my new runner which is a Fiat uno fire. I now race it in local hillclimbs. This and other personal reasons like girlfriend to wife to child kept me busy and away from the sud for years. I still looked around for parts and found an X formula junior 17 16v engine with drysump, a 145 gearbox with baulkring syncromesh and alloy finned bottom cover. An series 3 33 imola rear axle with discbrakes and calipers and front hubs with vented dicks + the much needed 16v crossmember.To cure the hard steering I also found a powersteering complete with pump and tubes and to make things more interesting I also bought a new mini supercharger.

At the moment I`m fitting the charger on the engine which is looking good.I still need to fit powersteering pump and scavange pump.
I`m also looking at the rear suspension. I want to keep the sud`s original axle but wanted rear handbrake. The 33 axle won`t fit but I can use it`s hubs with some engineering. which is also being in the procces.
The front suspention and steering will be next which I`m also planning for bigger brakes.
Finally or nearly  I will than place the engine inside the car and fit everything to make sure I don`t have to modify anything after the paint job.
I will remove it again and dismantle the engine for overhauling and body leaves for paint.

So far my concerns are about the 15 alloys which I think will rub the rear arches like they did in the past. And also about the front negative camber which is quite excessive and I suspect that the body has widened at the bottom.(the distance between the lower rear suspension arm mounting bolts is getting bigger. I managed to find the original dimensions for the series 1 33 which should be the same and I will have a look with the tape.
I will stop here for now. I will wait your comments and suggestions with interest. No need to ask for pics. I will post a few soon.

P.s. local sites of interest google islandcarclub and Valletta grandprix.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Port Louis
Wecome Anton.
This looks like a serious project .
I will be waiting for your updates mate.
great car,and a great place to live you have it all
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 14-06-10 Thread Starter
hi, thanks for the replies.Any idea where to find a powersteering repair kit for the 33 rack?
thanks Anton.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 16v

Hi and welcome,
sounds good.
I believe the racks are comon to bmw's made by ZF, what are you after gaitors, or unions and crush washers?
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 14-06-10 Thread Starter
I need the kit with the seals for the ram and also the gaiters
AO Silver Member
County: Staffs

Member car:

Had a 33 1.7 QV

Talking about power steering for series 3 33, is this available for the 1988 model?

If so how much weight will this add?

I wasn't aware that this was available. My wife has been asking for me to get a car with power steering!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

16v , alfasud