Alfa 33 Sprint - Engine matters - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northumberland
Alfa 33 Sprint - Engine matters

My garage started recommissioning my Sprint and first off sought to fix the suspect blown head gasket / drop valve.

As it turns out its neither - a piston bore is scored - probably due to cr@p being sucked in through the ram pipes the previous owner had on it (it had Del Orto 48's on it before I had it!!!)

Just right now I have zero time to go hunting a new engine, pick it up etc etc so I am going to have the garage's regular engine builder rebore the cylinders and add new pistons.

I just want the thing up and running about so I can drive it a bit this year but I might experiment with performance bits in the future - or get a 16v motor - hence I don't want to spend loads on it now. I want the fun of tinkering for years to come.

Anyway in the meantime I need some new pistons. Advice I have from another experienced sud owner suggests that for what I want Mahle replacement cast pistons or 16v dished pistons would be good. Does anyone know where I can get either of these off the shelf as I need them PDQ or any other ideas?

Oh engine is a carb fed 1.7 8v and mech tappets.

Thanks in anticipation
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Well , sorry to hear that , it was a pitty that the damage was that serious.

Lets start now. If you have an 8v with mech tappets you should probably stick with that engine , its the best and rarest of them all. By default the produced somewhere between 121-125 hp instead of 118 for one with hydraulic tappets and if previous owner had installed 48''s dellortos then i am guessing it could build up up to 130hp (if setup properly). On good thing with with mech tappets is that they can rev as long as you want even near limits without any problem even if the oil is not that good. Only problem that they are not shelf adjust but thats not reallyyyy a problem as access is easy , and adjusting them nothing that happens often. Plus they have better design , with that alfaromeo logo on them.

Now , as for rebuilding the engine , there is the issue of how much you want to spend on the engine. One solution is to install default pistons(or bored for couple of mm). If you go that way you can add little more more on polishing ports for better performance although since previous owner had 48's it is a good indication that they must have already been polished. Another solution is to install from 16v although i am not sure if they fit on the valves because heads on mech 8v are flat and not dished , only pistons or if the fit this will increase compression . Another solution is to install pistons from subaru 1.6 (couple mm bigger diameter) modded with rings to fit on alfaromeo rods which are better and probably cheaper.
Last solution is to go 16v , but it will require quite a lot of mods , you will have again to service the engine completely just to be sure that you will not have problem in the future and get use to the sound and feeling of injection instead of carbs. You can sell parts of your old engine , like heads or carbs (quite expensive on ebay).

If i were you i would stick on 8v. You know the status of the engine , it will be classical , rare , good performance , carbed and probably will cost you less than any other mod.

Sprint 1.7 '85
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 30-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northumberland
Thanks for that. I am really really struggling to find oversize pistons quickly.

It has been suggested to me that a 1.7ie block from a dead 33 is the same block as that from my car and I can get one of those next week.

I need more details but extrapolating what I have been told so far; it seems if I get my engine stripped down to the bare block (store the block for future use) and then get all the internals and put them onto the bare 1.7ie block including some sort of a back plate so it can use the distributor then its the same as what I have minus the bad scoring in the bores.

Is that right? If so that seems like the simplest short term fix and means I might actually make some events this year.

Over the dark winter months I am planning much more in the engine department, but I just want the car running around and doing a couple of sprints in this 100th year this summer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfa , engine , matters , sprint