drive shaft bolts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

alfasud TI

Madness drive shaft bolts

hey guys
im having problems with my drive shaft bolts next to the gear box
for some reason they keep undoing them selfs and snaping i have cleaned and replace them more then once now an i cant seem to figure out what is going on
if anyone has ever had this problem how did you fix it or if anyone has a suggestion i would love to know
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Have you tried something like Loctite? They do different strengths of threadlock
AO Silver Member
County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

They do need to be REALLY tightly done up in the first place - I use a big ring spanner to turn the Allen key - locktite as well as Pascs says.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

alfasud TI

ok cool ill have to put locktite on it
are they stretch bolt?
and wasnt sure if they should of been super tight
but ill have another crack at it tomorrow
thanx heaps guys
AO Member
County: Devon
I think the correct (original) allen bolts have a tensile strength of 12.9. This is much stronger than the 'average' high tensile bolt at 8.8 and can be done up much tighter.
I have had similar problems on Suds with inboard brakes where the allen bolts go through the discs (later models). My theory is that 'spirited' driving moves the bolts slightly under hard braking and gradually loosens them off. Eventually the movement in the disc is enough to act like shears and cut the bolts. The 33 with outboard brakes doesn't seem to have the same issue.
My solution is to use new bolts, a really high quality 1/2" drive allen key and a long extension to do them up with a ratchet torque wrench from under the front wing.
Sorry, I haven't got a manual handy and can't quote the torque figure, but it is pretty tight. I wouldn't recommend re-using the bent bolts. Check the bolt holes in your front discs to see if they have become oval with wear and therefore more likely to allow movement.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

Member car:

heres the little technique iv found works for me...

a 12" 3/8 drive T bar/rive bar with a 6mm allen drive socket is the best iv ever used for getting them nice and tight. i always clean the threads on a wire wheel and then wash any residue off with thinners... (removing any oil etc will lessen the chances of them coming loose) if you happen to over do it and snap one then its just a matter of undoing the bolts dropping the drive shaft down and removing the bit of snapped bolt from the hub ( this should only be finger tight as theres no longer any pressure on it).

if you need any spare bolts oliver iv got a box full, just send me a PM. and iv never used locktite, i was told theyd be a sod to get out if u do. and like mark says, use original alfa bolts.

the 12" 3/8 rive bar is £12.99 and 6mm allen sockets about £4 i think, definatley a good investment and well worth the money from halfords as theyr guarenteed for life. iv exchanged quite a few allen sockets over the years without any question

Last edited by sudboy1490; 07-05-10 at 07:53.
fruity has a great little home made tool for tightening them, showed me it when i fetched the gearbox.
a piece of 6mm allen key is welded to a length of solid bar with a "T" piece welded to the other end. the trick is to have the bars length just right so they can be done up from under the wheel arch simple, but perfect

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

bolts , drive , shaft