33 RWD conversion - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Canterbury

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

33 RWD conversion

Browsing wreaked alfas the other day i found a S3 33 p4. And a crazy idea popped into my head

Take the rear axle, gear box and drive shaft from a p4 mod to rwd only and slap it under a s2 33 fwd. Fwd to Rwd over night

Obviously not a straight forward swap. The fuel tank for one would need to be moved possibly to the trunk. and some alterations would need to be made such as mounts for the drive shaft and larger gear box.

Has anyone heard of this being done before???? I have seen a video on you tube about a s2 rwd. I wonder how he did it???
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
I've heard of it being done to an s3 P4, which makes much more sense. There's videos of that on Youtube I'm sure.
AO Member
County: Varna
Here is one YouTube - Alfa 33 RWD donut

I think that guy is spending time here on the forum
County: Nicosia
I'm doing it - almost finished actually on my Sprint.

Its not as easy as it sounds mate
The rear axle of the p4 is straight - obviously - so the drive axles can go straight to the wheels from the diff.
The rear axle of the sprint or 33 is angled.
This means that you need to make adjustments for the rear suspension. What I did was cut the plates of the rear coilovers and moved them 14 cm's up. By cutting the coilovers you will get an extremely short suspension of the car, with the result of the car bouncing around instead of working with the suspension.

In addition to that you need to make brakets for the shock absorvers so they can mount , again around 14cm's further up.
There is no other way around that.

Then you must ofcourse remove the fuel tank and in my case I had to chop out the rear spare tyre floor panel to make some more space.

With that done, depending on how low you want your ride to be, you need to make additional clearance for the panhard rod of the p4. I actually choped the rear frame of the car to make clearance and strangthen it again later.

Then, you need to fabricate mounts for the center axle that gives drive to the rear diff as well as for the gearbox which has a different mounting position than the standard one of the fwd.

Finally, if you chose to go rear wheel drive and not 4x4 like I am, you will need to dissasemble the cv's from the front axles and mount the cv's only on the front hubs so that your front wheel hubs dont come apart while driving. You will also need to make covers for the gearbox to remove the inner cv's.

Then you need to either lock the electromagnetic switch on the gearbox that gives power to the rear diff or just connect it to 12V constant - I'd recommend the first option as the box is a bit fragile !

..... thats about it !
AO Member
County: Meath
sounds like a waste of a s2 if you ask me

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

conversion , rwd