Painting engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 14-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Staffs

Member car:

Had a 33 1.7 QV

Painting engine

I'd really like to paint this part of the engine. Maybe red.

Now I'd like to attempt to paint it while mounted in the car. Sounds very tricky and cumbersome and not sure if at all poss.

Any suggestions for preparation of surface and type of paint?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

I used a Halfords brand VHT type paint to do the engine on Green Machine. The engine was a factory replacement unit that had been stored for 20 years. It certainly looked nice and shiny to start with, but after 5 years on the road the block had become very rusty. Without the large air cleaner box in place the rust was rather obvious too, so I wanted to paint the block at least. When I took the engine out to have the gearbox re-furbished last year I took the opportunity to get some paint on. The paint is supposed to be applied to rust-free metal, and the heat of the engine bakes it out. I just couldn't get back to bare metal with a wire brush attachement on a drill. I removed all the ancilliaries from the engine, plus the carbs and the water pump elbow and thermostat housing before painting. You should be able to do that with the engine in-situ. I didn't paint the cylinder heads, they are just bare aluminium. I masked off the bits I didn't want paint on (especially the intake manifold ports!!!) and used the entire can putting as many successive coats on as I could. The paint is a satin black finish, but other colours (including red) are available.

Freshly painted, this is what the engine looked like before I put it back in the car, but I am pleased to report that there has been no breakthrough of rust over the past year/4,500 miles of use, so overall I am very pleased. The main thing for me is that the rusty block made the engine look like it was neglected, when in fact it has less than 14,000 miles from new!

Alfanauts are GO!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

engine , painting