R.I.P. to my 33 and long life to my new one... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 29 Old 20-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tirane
Hi again!

I have another question, about a topic that is disturbing me since I got the new 33!

The car revs just fine. From 1000rpm-3000rpm is perfect, than from 3000 rpm-up I hear the valves clicking and this is really disturbing me. I thought that by servicing the car the clicking would disappear. The clicking is typical valve clicking under load but strong enough to hear inside the cabin. This doesn't happen if I push the gas pedal gently!!!

Things that I have changed :

- spark plugs to iridium NGK spark plugs
- air filter to KN air filter for original air box
- Oil??? to Bardhal 10w40 full synthetic (this time I didn't use Selenia)
-oil filter
-ECU to ECU with chip (but even with the factory ECU the clicking was still there)
-Lambda sensor
-Thermostat and coolant
-Added some extra ground wires around the engine
-Changed exhaust from factory to customized with no cat.

Things to be done:

-waiting for fuel filter (could this be causing the clicking?)
-I think to try the fuel injectors from my crashed 33 as they were cleaned with ultrasound and in perfect condition
-cam belts

What do you guys think? What is wrong with my engine? The petrol is not very good quality here but would be the same when I had the other 33.
Since I got the new car I never reved the engine more than 4000rpm because of that noise.

Maybe is good to take her for a drive in the highway and to push her a bit hard?

need advice

Last edited by Alfa33boxer; 20-01-10 at 10:15.
Sponsored Links
County: Nicosia
Look ... in general, engine from engine has different character .

So , what I'm trying to say is that two engines exactly the same, may react completely differently in the road !

I had a 16v engine that was fast as hell and I never found out why ! I still have that engine and nobody could tell me why it was so much faster than my other 16v engines that were EXACTLY the same with EXACTLY the same electronic components.

A trip would do good to the new car anyway, put some petrol cleaners in the tank as well and dont drive it too hard at first. If this car was driven slowly over the years, there would be a serious amount of sud in the pistons, heads and valves, that could definitely affect performance.

best of luck
it is true that sometimes engines however they seem to be the same are different

back in the 80's there was a semi famous engine for formula ford 1600 called "patch" . it had been an old block damaged from a con-rod going through the side and laid out in a yard until needed urgently so the bore was patched up and it built to the british championship regs. it won plenty of races in different cars and was stripped down many times and pronounced legal, but was an engine of choice. no one knew (or was willing to admit to) why
AO Silver Member
County: -
If you hear valves clicking then they may need to be adjusted. Althought theyare hydraulics and the shelf-adjust , sometimes they need to be serviced in order to be within factory specs again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

life , long , rip