Steering colomn switch - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 24-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Denbighshire
Hmmm Steering colomn switch

When i try to use the headlight flasher on the steering colomn switch the mainbeam lights don't come on and smoke appears from the switch area, is there a common fault or does it just mean the switch is worn out? The car is an 82 sprint.
Sponsored Links
sounds like dirty contacts inside the switch, dust and all sorts gets in there over time.
take the switch off (preferably) and give it a good dose of contact cleaner while working the switch in all positions, should sort it out
AO Silver Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

my sud was doing the same thing last year, i a had put a wrong wire to the head light, i think i put the fog light to the negative on the full beam or somthing like that , i cant remember , just check your wiring on your lights.
AO Silver Member
County: -
if you have smoke there are couple of possibilities , most of them but due to hazard of fire.

Most likely either you have a short circuit due to corroded cables and the make contact when you use the switch. Another possibility is that the cable are disconnected or out of place and again they make contact when you move the switch. If you have recently made and electrical work on the car check the connection to see if they are ok. If your connections and cables are ok then you have to check inside engine bay to see if the cables that goes to the fuse or the lights are ok and again not short circuited because if yes then it possiple that the excessive current will burn the most weak cable whhich probably is on the steering column.

Just check also the fuse box to see if there is any fuse that looks worn and about to be burnt from high current.

Sprint 1.7 '85
Mark Alfa
I used to get a burning smell from mine but the lights did flash. I have got for mine another switch and at the moment I can't smell anything burning but when I flash them now the rear fog light symbol lights up which is probably down to not having the front lights connected.
AO Member
County: Shropshire
I think this used to be a common problem on suds. Mine is on its third set of switches.
The first time, when the car was only two years old, all the lights would go out when high beam was turned on. The second time after it was about 10 years old it would smoke on intermittent wiper setting.
The third set is lasting well, probably because it's not driven in the rain or at night much any more.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

colomn , steering , switch