HALP she's squealing! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Wairprarapa

Member car:

Alfa 33 sportiva

HALP she's squealing!

Hey guys new to the site, and relitivly new to Alfa's! I have a 1988 33 sportiva 1.5 manual, and I'm really struggling to keep her alive!

I need some advice on a weird squealing noise, it happens at low revs, especially it seems when turning (also noticed a significant loss of traction around corners, especially right handers) It sounds kind of similar to a fan belt, but there is no noise on startup, and the pitch changes...a lot

It happens when coasting aswell, but seems to be caused from acceleration. I noticed it at a mini roundabout, then all seemed ok. On the way home however it has gotten progressivly worse.

Additional info....
- Recently had to bleed the clutch..
- She stalls...A LOT but only really when cold, rarely (although it does - happen) at the lights etc.
- She has a serious drinking problem, fixed a fuel leak, but seems to be worse now...leak was a dodgy cable on the right carb

Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
does it make the noise while stationary, with the engine being revved up

if it does then its engine related, if it doesn't then its driveline related

with what you have said about being thirsty i am guessing on a loose/broken pipe to a carb (guessing at a '88 one being on carbs over there ) probably one of the breather ones that go from the collector to each carb
AO Silver Member
Does the squealing noise happen when the car is NOT moving and when the clutch pedal is pushed down? If so, it must be coming from something under the bonnet. Perhaps the belt driving the alternator and water pump, or perhaps a bearing that hopefully isn't one of the cambelt tensioner pulleys.
If the squealing only happens when the car IS moving, then it must be something like the brakes, a wheel bearing, or a slipping clutch.

Stalling and drinking heaps of fuel can be fixed by getting the right person to check/tune/balance the carbs. This is a job that requires the right gear and someone who knows what they're doing - you can't do it yourself. You'll be amazed the difference this can make on these cars though!
You should expect roughly between 8 and 11 litres per 100km economy from your car, depending on whether you mainly cruise the open road or race between traffic jams.

If the fuel line to the right carb was dodgy, I'd check all the rubber fuel hoses in the engine bay. A couple of meters of fuel hose from Repco won't cost you much at all, especially compared to an engine fire..

Edit: kevjtd beat me to first reply! ;p

Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

halp , squealing