air condition in alfa 33 1.5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 22-08-09 Thread Starter
County: Nicosia

Member car:

alfa 33 1.7

air condition in alfa 33 1.5

The alfa 33 1.5 has no air condition so when I went to my mechanic in Cyprus and told him that I was interested in adding one in my car he said it will have several dissadvantages on the egine and the performance of the engine will not be as good as before. Is there an other way of adding air condition without these disadvantages? Please help.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
AO Member
County: Attica

Member car:

33 & 147

A/C will easily drain from the engine 10 hp during operation.

It all depends on what you want. Sweating and normal performance VS conditioned air and a slight drop in performance.

However it is not that bad while the A/C is in operation. Setting off from standstill is a little bit slow and lazy but under normal cruising speed all is OK.

AO Silver Member
The ventilation fan in 33s is so weak and there are so many air leaks that even if you had chilled air, there wouldn't be enough of it to cool you down.
County: Nicosia
Hi Alex. If you are fitting a universal one , that might not be the best thing you can do !

If you can find a 33 with the original a/c unit inside, then take the whole system out - heater box, control unit inside the car, the 2 condessing units with fans from under the bumper ( take the brakets as well ) the filter ,all the hoses, the compressor and the mount of the compressor that fits on the engine block.

If you cannot find an old 33 to take those from, there is one outside a mechanics shop, where Omorfita's Police station is. That one has the original a/c system and its also complete. Ask the mechanic there how much he wants for the a/c system and take it

Have in mind that the a/c will not perform at its best in traffic in the middle of the day. To do that you need to make other mods with a bigger condessing unit and a larger condessing unit fan to cool it
Absolutely not worth the trouble: alfa 33 A/C not good even factory new;good only to defrost windows in winter;alfa added it later in the life of the production just so they could say it had A/C;but it was never good,nor can it EVER be;not enough frontal area to mount a decent CONDENSER was impossible to circumvent,even for the factory;I would NEVER try to add A/C to a 33 that never had it;pure waste of time ,monies etc etc;my opinion.(been a repairer long enough)
County: Capital Federal
I agree with everyone of you

* Don't boder installing a Universal A/C if that's the case.
* 33 (1.3 and 1.7) A/C is not that good. It will help you pass those really hot days in a better way, but don't expect too much of it.
* Ventilation Fan is weak. Passengers in the back seat will suffer that.
* It will take some whp from your car because of friction and weight of all the parts you will have to add to make it work.

Remember A/C only goes out from the central console, because the ventilations on the right and left extreme are just external ventilation, therefore your options are (all in central console)

+ Left ventilation for you
+ Right ventilation co-pilot
+ Central ventilation pointing up to get to the passengers on the back.

Sun roof ALWAYS closed, otherwise you will never cool it down.

Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
Have in mind that the a/c will not perform at its best in traffic in the middle of the day. To do that you need to make other mods with a bigger condessing unit and a larger condessing unit fan to cool it
I would really like to know what mod are there to do... that might help

I hope the information helps you
AO Member
County: New South Wales
System weight is about 45 Kgs, power loss not too bad (i've seen worse).

The BIGGEST problem with the 33's aircon is the sheer lack of airflow because of the airbox's very compact design & small fan/evaporator surface area. The Sanden compressor & twin underguard condensers sizing are fine for the job. There's just no way of getting a heater, aircon evaporator & a large enough fan for the job to fit in the tiny airbox under the bonnet. Universal aircon kits were available in Australia, but they were even worse (2 fans that looked like they were flogged off someone's computer).

I'm trying to develop a better system for my 33 in my spare time that'll hopefully even have enough airflow to put chilled air through the side vents. Just don't hold you're breath for a result yet - i've been at it for 2 years now & the last 2 designs haven't worked out too well. If I can get it to work well in the Aussie outback on a 45 degree day, then i'll be satisfied enough to tell everyone what needs to be done to make it work (or i'll work out a DIY kit - we'll see what I can do)

164 restoration in progress...
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Open all the windows and buy a battery operated fan for the dash.Much cheaper and easier
AO Silver Member
The best think is to use UV filter tinted windows so that the car stays cool even with lots of sun.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

air , alfa , condition