Sud Rear Brakes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-08-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 V6

Sud Rear Brakes

Hi there. I've got a series 1 Alfasud Ti with the standard brake setup. Problem is they don't seem very good at stopping the car. I get the impression that the rear brakes don't do much at all when the weight transfers forward during braking.

Has anyone tried bypassing the brake compensator valve to get more braking at the rear? Would there be problems with the rears locking up?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Yes there would be a problem. The thing is that rear brake are pretty much useless in Suds and thats why brake pads are rarely replaced . As for the compensator yes it can be stuck so try and readjust it. There is a lever on the side. Put some weight on the lever , about 6kgr ( a bag with 4 bottles of water for example). release a valve that it has and tight it back. if you don't see any change , put some more weight and try again.

The best method for that is to put the car on elevator and put a hydraulic lever in the middle of the axel and lift it as much as the rear wheels don't touch the elevator. This is to adjust the axel equal on weight.

Is this doesnt do anything then i read somewhere here about a compensator from mini...

But that the method i saw on the workshops when they adjusted mine.

Sprint 1.7 '85
AO Silver Member
County: Stirling
You could bypass the compensator valve and fit a bias valve, I'm having this done on my sprint racer at present... should allow some adjustment to the rear.
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

alfasud TI

you know the back end is only incidental lol
it was like alfa made the sud stood back an smiled then realized oh sh*t we need to make a back end for it
my mechanic keeps tell me the rear wheels are like a trailer an only there to follow you

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

brakes , rear , sud