why has my alfa started to skip? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 03-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

a car

why has my alfa started to skip?

Does anyone know why my Alfa has started to skip, when I drive over a grate or a dip in the road? I have decent tyres on, tyre pressure is ok and the shocks have been checked (told they are ok)! it is leathel in the wet! Could live with it if I was the only person on the road, but Im not so I really need to get it sorted!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 12 Old 03-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

a car

why thanks for that, I am sure when I tell them at the garage I was told its gay and happy and full of the joys of summer etc, they will surely still throw me a big bill! So you dont know either? wink
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

I have no idea, but maybe the suspension bushes have had it (broken) causing the suspension to behave outside the norm? Or perhaps part of the suspension is bent or maybe the camber/caster is not set correctly on your example?

Probably none of the above but thats all I could think of.

Simon
AO Platinum Member

County: -
My 33 used to do the same thing when I bought it...
The problem was too high preasure in the left front tyre, but if your preasures are ok it can't be that ...

Wasn't that usefull information
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 03-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

a car

Thinking of changing models, & (forum),Nothing personal guys! my 33 seems to spend more time in the garage than on the road! It's great when it behaves but thats not too often at the moment! Going to leave in to the garage, let them have a look, and see what it is, if its going to hurt my pocket it will be advertised for parts! Watch this spot! No good sitting here guessing might as well just do it)!
AO Platinum Member

County: -
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 33 Mad:
<strong>Thinking of changing models, & (forum),Nothing personal guys! my 33 seems to spend more time in the garage than on the road! </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You need a bit more patience...
I had my 33's gearbox fixed in summer, it was in the garage for over 2 months... then when I got it back it, lasted for 5 days before the suspension failed and now I have been waiting for 2 weeks to get new shock absorbers and springs... and it seems it'll take at least 2 more weeks to get them...
You might think I'm p1$$ed and wanted to change the car for something else, but I'm not and I'll never give up on my 33, except when I get a 156 wink

What Do You Have When A Lawyer Is Buried Up To His Neck In Sand? Not Enough Sand.

- ✂- - - - - - - - - - - CUT HERE - - - - - - - - - - - ✂ -
Disclaimer:
This post is provided "As-is" without any warranty, not even the implied warranty of making any sense what so ever.
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 03-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

a car

Aghh bless you, I know what you mean I will probably still have mine until I can afford a 2.5 v6 156! Living In Hope as Always!

Thanks Guys!
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Have you had the car check for wheel alignment on one of the 4 wheel alignment things.

Could be one of the wheels is not aligned correctly and you only feel it in the wet since there is less grip.

What tyre pressures do you use. My old Sprint used to be F 26 PSI, R 23 PSI.
Which is really low compared with my 156 F/R ~34 PSI.
AO Silver Member

County: Sesimbra
Garage
Hi 33 Mad

Welcome to Alfaowner.

What do you mean by skipping?

All the best

Sérgio
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 04-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

a car

Pascs I left my car into a tyre place not long had new rubber on, they have checked the tyre pressure so I
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 04-09-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

a car

Continued: So I presume the tyre pressure is ok! I haven't had the wheels aligned though, I will try that! tyre pressure is about 30!

Thanks for the welcome Montreal, skipping well when I drive over a grate or a dip the car wobbles at the back end, and it is worse in the wet! eek!
AO Silver Member

County: Sesimbra
Garage
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 33 Mad:
<strong>Continued: So I presume the tyre pressure is ok! I haven't had the wheels aligned though, I will try that! tyre pressure is about 30!

Thanks for the welcome Montreal, skipping well when I drive over a grate or a dip the car wobbles at the back end, and it is worse in the wet! eek! </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi,

I think you should in the first place trying a lower tyre pressure... ( I find that in my car it holds better in the wet when the pressure is a little lower).
Check your rear suspension bushes, a get your rear shocks rechecked... My car, some time ago, developed a drastic lift-off oversteer, that was fixed by replacing the shocks ( I Fitted some Monroe Reflex that are gas charged, they turned out pretty good, although most guys prefer the Koni Sport... I think they are a bit to hard for the roads I drive on )

Hope you get it Sorted.

BTW: How old are your tyres? They might have turned hard with the time, resulting in poor grip.

All the Best

Sérgio

Driving is a Passion... but doing it with an Alfa is a way of life...

.................................................. .........

My Photo Gallery at www.olhares.com

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
alfa , skip , started