radiator cooling fan(s) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Anthony Raikes
radiator cooling fan(s)

I've just got a replacement radiator
(non- aluminum) built for my Series III 16v.

It now has twice as many tubes(32) as the original one has.
I am also thinking of replacing the standard cooling fan with two small smaller ones(a couple of 9 inch fans fit the area perfectly).

I was wondering what temp i should have these cutting in on?
Also does this original thermo switch have a set temp rating or is it variable?
Mine has the following no.s 88-92 etched into it.
(temp degrees i presume?)

The above switch is NOT the temp sensor which is located in the top of the engine block. Prehaps i should be adjusting this as well?

Sponsored Links
The marked 88-92 is the preset temperatures the fan will start. Some car accesory stores have variable temp-switces for sale. Try some of the stores in your country or the internet.

Rasmus .
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

The switch built into the radiator is the control for the fan (perhaps 92 C fan on, 88 C fan off). It basically provides a -12v to the fan relay.
You should be able to use this with any new fans that you install. Use the relay to control the fans and use the switch in the radiator to control the relay.

You can also install a switch inside the car which will switch on the fan any time you want a bit of extra cooling.
Just connect the negative output from the switch to one of the contacts on the radiator switch. Its easy to check which one - connect a wire directly to the negative terminal of the battery and the other end to each terminal in turn on the radiator switch - which ever one switches on the fan is the right one !!!
You are basically providing the -12v to the radiator switch and fooling the relay into switching on the fan.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
Anthony Raikes
Thanks guys, you have comfirmed my thoughts. It could also be a good idea to mount a independant switch under the dash as well. I will see how it performs.

AO Platinum Member
County: -
So it is normal for a 33 to heat up to ~90C ?
I've been worried few times when the thermometer has started to reach 100C
Anthony Raikes
Yeah that question had bugged me too, thanks Pasi

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

cooling , fans , radiator